Players starting to grumble about playing time at USC.

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Andouille, Oct 1, 2008.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Kind of like the Yankees. Biggest payroll in MLB loaded with current and past All-Stars, but haven't won the World Series in close to 10 years. You have to have talent to win, but talent alone doesn't win championships.

2. Suncoasttiger

Suncoasttiger Founding Member

I would not. And I would hold on the the Matt Cassell reference, if I am the Patriots. Just because he's starting, doesn't mean he is going to be any good. He looked horrible vs my lowly Dolphins last week.

I think a player needs to consider more than just the schools tradition or how many players that school put in the pros.

Doug Williams, Ben Roethlisberger, Terry Bradshaw, Tom Brady, Joe Montana, and Troy Aikman all went to college where the did for different reasons and all ended up playing for SB winners.

My point is that I would suggest a player go to the place he feels most comfortable; certainly tradition and player development are going to be part of that decision, but so should education, coaching staff, chemistry with other players and students.

Eleven years ago, USF didn't have a football team. Three years ago, they had never been to a bowl game. This year, they have their sights on a BCS bowl. They have a player, George Selvie who was a two star recruit offensive lineman that is going to be a top ten Defensive End in the draft, and hes not even a senior. Hes a redshirt junior. My point with this kid is he saw his own personal fortunes and fortunes of his team totally blossom over the course of a couple of seasons.

There are many roads to success in the NFL. I don't think USC has ever produced an NFL starting QB, but I could be wrong. I know between the two of them, La Tech and Grambling have produced more!

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i think theres a lot of truth to that. conversely, take LSU and you have one school in the state that just about every kid grows up dreaming to play for and much closer in proximity in a small state as say, USC/cali.

and more bleed the p&g here with a passion than not. it counts for something.

4. tirk

pat haden/carson palmer. rodney peete sorta counts. sean doucheberry does not.

1 person likes this.
  5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Or, maybe he sucks.

6. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

Carson Palmer, Matt Lienart... those are just this decade, are you refering a to an all-pro NFL QB over multiple years?

7. tirk

to be completely objective, joe mcknight currently sucks. he struggled most of last year til the end and exploded in the bowl game against illinois fueling the hype.

although he still has plenty time to develop (1 more year before going pro) we should watch what we wish for.

dude wasnt a fit here and we are better for it.

8. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Yes, just ask Blue Gay.

1 person likes this.
  9. G-LSU

G-LSU Founding Member

After one loss.... the sky is falling at USC-w :rofl:

:geauxtige:geauxtige
    :geauxtige:geauxtige

10. Suncoasttiger

Suncoasttiger Founding Member

Without a doubt. I remember the 1973 LSU/MSU game (my first in Tiger Stadium) like it was yesterday. I remember going to BR and watching Charles Alexander run wild vs Ole Miss. I was there in 78 or 79 when we played USC and got robbed on a roughing the kicker call that enabled USC to win that game. There was so much passion all around every small town in Louisiana for LSU football. Sat nite games in BR were incredible. Still are!