Pig Hunting w/ Dogs

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Feb 16, 2013.

1. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

Guy brought some wild hog sausage to work this morning. Good God almighty that was some strong sausage. He either ground up the hog balls or a cat sprayed it. Took 2 Cajun venison sausage patties and a coke to get the flavor out if my throat. Remember this when you kill a boar. De-nut it on the spot.

KyleK likes this.
  2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Not sure what's going on here, but it sounds fucking terrible.

3. gyver

Sounds hell! Taste like somebody drug the jimmy dean through a litter box and fried that shit.

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

From what I've always heard, you are certainly correct.

If it was run by dogs and is all worked up; however, that may not do any good. There's a difference tween shooting one walking by a stand and after dogs bay it, I'm told. They usually throw the males and only keep the young females/sows.

5. gyver

Your correct. Even A deer run by dogs has a stronger flavor and needs to hang an extra day. A wild boar ran by dogs is stout, to say the least. Most of my friends just kill them and leave them. I kill my hogs stalking or by opportunity. If its a boar I'll take back straps on the spot and leave the rest where it lays. A sow will get gutted and loaded up. She'll be skinned like a catfish, quartered and cooked on game day or other special occasions. Fine eating right there. Pop one in the 20-40 lb range. Season good with season salt or Tonys, wrap in cheese clothe, dig a pit and put tin on bottom. Lay hog on that and cover with another sheet of tin. Build fire on that and burn till nothing but coals then cover with another sheet of tin and cover that with dirt, to trap heat. And cook for 24 hrs. When you can pull meat off with fingers. It's done. Best served with a keg while cooking and bourbon when eating.

LSUTiga likes this.
  6. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

I worked with a guy who ran hogs religiously. He swears that blackmouth curs are the absolute best dogs for tracking and baying hogs. That is all he uses, and he said he would work 2-3 at a time.

Talked to a few other guys, here in TX, who use a tracker dog and strike dog combo. Generally they use a catahoula to track and 2 pits to strike.

Personally, I like dogs too much to go on this type of hunt. From what i hear the dogs can really get tore up badly.

7. LSUTiga

True. One of my friends actually stitches them up himself on the tailgate of the truck.

I think they use the tracker and strike combo. I'll post more after I go Saturday and see.

8. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I need to get on a pig hunt or two. So freakin hard to get good pork around here. Only done one once... but I had enough meat to geill for a while.

I mainly want bacon, ribs and ground sausage. Where can one go to hunt pig if you don't have any land?

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

They are all over the place along the Pearl River. Honey Island Swamp as well. Not sure the regs for hunting them though.

10. LSUTiga

Had a good time but the hog hunt itself wasn't what I enjoyed the most. Enjoyed the entire outing. There were two guys from Wyoming who were friends of the landowners. One was a recently retired 747 pilot. Would've loved to spend more time with him and hear some stories.

We cooked fish on open fire, drank plenty.

Most impressive thing about the hunt was the programmed collars and the guy being able to tell us any given dogs' distance from us and whether the were moving or stopped. When they're stopped they're on a hog. It was neat. I told him it was almost like playing a video game.

We ended up with 5. The picture has 4 cause they left a boar in the woods.

Dog cages on trailer

[​IMG]

Some of the dogs on back of 4 Wheeler

[​IMG]

Actually got 5. They left a boar in the woods.

[​IMG]

Cleaning them

[​IMG]