Perspective, have a dose

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by QBLuke, Sep 5, 2010.

1. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

I think it's frustrating that Miles' seems to do just enough to stay around but we continually underachieve. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Miles just yet, but it's definitely headed in that direction. It's like we learn nothing from week to week. Les said it himself, "8-5 is not acceptable." I assume that means 9-4 is not acceptable either. Those who defend Miles to the bitter end: If Les obviously believes that mediocrity is not acceptable, then why do you? I agree he deserves this year and maybe even next, but when will enough be enough? Both extremes annoy be, but we must get better. That much has got to be clear, right???

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

There's a difference between defending Miles and seeing things from a perspective of reality. I'm not defending Miles so much as I'm berating the fans who are so unhappy with the program that they spew their vitriol constantly.

Why do I accept mediocrity? Assuming for a moment that we are mired in mediocrity, do I have a choice whether to accept it or not? Will complaining in every thread change anything?

I'm going to buy some Maalox stock.

1 person likes this.
  3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to SabanFan again"

:)hihi: still laughing !!)

4. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

This is an open discussion forums. If you don't like the free exchange of ideas and opinions then why are you here? What, do you want people to just come here and have all of the exact same thoughts and beliefs as you? That's kind of communist, don't you think?

Also, maybe "mediocrity" is a bad word since it seems to upset you so. Just replace the word mediocrity with 8-5 or 9-4. Again, even Les said it's unacceptable. We recruit well enough to compete for conference and even national titles year in, year out. Why should we let unfocused, unprepared and poor play calling, time mgmt. etc... hinder that? Just like an NFL team with a great QB. There is a window of opportunity in college football. If we continue in the direction we are headed over the last two years we could lose our recruiting prowess. These top ranked athletes may not want to come here if we can't make it to conference title games or BCS bowls when they could go elsewhere and do so. Les is a fantastic recruiter, but I fear his coaching or lack thereof may never be able to fully utilize the talent he brings in. He deserves time to improve. I am just starting to lose faith that he or our team will.

5. kcal

kcal Founding Member

this

6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

A look at LSU

A few thoughts on the game last night and the state of LSU football.
    First UNC was a better team than those that beat Ole Miss, and pushed Florida, Oklahoma et al. They may have lost a lot of people but Davis has recuited well and the replacements were much better than the front lines of any of the teams noted above.
    That doesn't mean I give LSU a pass. Their performance was a C- at best. There are many things that are improved over last year and many that can be easily addressed. There are also some serious issues that continue to plague the team.
    To grade the parts does help determine the whole and see what can be done.
    Offense
    The line is much improved over last year. Pass protection was excellent overall and run blocking showed promise. The penalties on T Bob et all were not shown on TV so it is hard to comment. I think overall the line deserves a strong B.
    Likewise the receiving corps is better than last year. I liked what I saw. Grade B+ or A-.
    Backs are not impressive. Ridley doesn't impress me and Murphy is one that will never show the same as he does in prectice. Unfortuneatly some players are like that. We need to try some of the young back or we will be a D+ at best.
    Jordan Jefferson was better than last year. He stuck in the pocket and threw well. He is still too slow to make decisions and isn't fluid in action. C.
    Defense
    Line + linebackers were pretty good. They were quick strong and in position. There was some poor takling but that can be directed. This could be a real strong pair of units Grade B
    Backfield. I thought the corners played well. Unless the 93yd TD was Claiborne's mistake (I don't think it was) they deserve a B as well. The safeties were very poor. 15 gave up 2 TDs from being out of position and not reacting well. They were not play makers. They deserve a D- or F. I would rather seem Losten & Reid play even at the cost of mistakes and be aggresive hard hitters.
    Special team A enough said.
    Coaching still show disturbing signs. The last drive of the 1st half reminded me of Ole Miss last year. Crowten has great plays designed but no idea of how to use them. It seems he just pick a play out of his hat and has no idea of how to use one play to set up another. He wastes our talent. If Miles gets too involed in play calls then he is at fault as well. He needs to concentrate on management. I do see a positive though as the players appear to be being coached up They are better in technique and seem to have grown.
    Looking forward I have hope for 2010 with some fear. We had a good test and won. We should be able to win every game we play. I know we won't but we can still have a 9-10 win season but if we don't do more than normal improvement between games it could be 7-8 wins. Miles is not a strong enough leader. I see him as a Charlie Mac to others Bear, Vaught et al. Close but not quite there. A really good man but maybe not ruthless enough. We will have to decide what LSU wants sometime soon.

3 people like this.
  7. geauxgeauxhon

geauxgeauxhon blah blah blah

I'm so glad you didn't say Nazi, otherwise you'd have automatically lost the debate (that free exchange of ideas and opinions) according to Godwin's Law.

Speaking of the free exchange of ideas and opinions, I think what SabanFan and others like him (including myself) want is more ideas to balance the opinions on the forum. There are a plethora of very negative opinions since last night, but for the most part, a total lack of ideas to back up those opinions. I'm not saying that you have done this, just using your very good words to illustrate a point of frustration for some of us.

Ideas to back up opinions are just awesome...if I wanted nonstop opinions, I'd give my mother-in-law a call.

1 person likes this.
  8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Ummm, excuse me Goober, but:

You asked the fking question.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Attention all rookies! This is the way to make a first post, :thumb:

Welcome to the board, Winston.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i agree.

welcome winston. post early and post often.