Pentathelam...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Jul 19, 2005.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Thought this was interesting.. It is a calculation of how often a person will see a win in the big 5 (baseball, softball, football, m & w basketball) at a D-1 school..

http://www.raginpagin.com/hotpage/showthread.php3?p=36384#post36384post36384

LSU was ranked 10th with a .686 winning percentage... Texas was #1 with .760...

Its pretty much a useless list, it just shows how often you get to be happy at a sports event i guess...

2. Macphisto

Macphisto Founding Member

ULL number 3 behind Texas and Tenn? Is that because they have areally young athletic department or play like 15 games a season in those five sports combined? What the hell could they be winning? Not this :crystal:

:eek:ldskule:

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I am more amazed that there are enough USL fans to have a message board. I didn't know that many of them could read. Does Nicholls have a message board?

4. locoguano

well.. they made it to the post season in baseball, men's basketball and softball... thats quite a few wins right there...

I find their board to be an interesting comparison to this one... once you get past the ULL/LSU penis envy, you see some funny small college stuff, like their Volunteer Day at Cajun Field, where Volunteers come and help put a new coat of paint on the stadium and such... Just an interesting comparison between a big time, national program and a small, more localized program...

5. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

Kind of a useless list.

You play about 10 games in football a year...but what 40 in basketball and 50 in baseball?

So basketball is worth 4 times the weight as football and baseball is worth 5 times more.

6. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Football has almost no effect on this whole thing....

Think about it... We were 9-3 this year.... ULL was 4-7.... So, that gave us 5 more wins and 4 less losses out of about 200....

While softball has about 5x as much influence as football.... :dis:

LSU Football: 9-3 : .75
    LSU Softball: 31-23 : .574
    LSU W-Basketball: 33-3 : .916
    LSU M-Basketball: 20-10 : .667
    LSU Baseball: 40-22 : .645

Average = .7104 as opposed to the .686 on that site..

Softball destroys what Pokey did in this kind of average...

Edit: Heh, Aubie.. I was calculating all this when you posted yours..

7. locoguano

Yeah.. its not meant to give any kind of importance.. just your chances of seeing a win and going "Yay!"... heh

8. Houma Tiger

Houma Tiger Founding Member

We should all go volunteer to help get the upper deck done by the NT game :thumb:

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I read about that in the Lafayette Daily Fertilizer. The geek that conjured this up is a huge USL fan. The only way he could get them into the to 10 was to throw womens' softball into the mix. It's their biggest sport and the one that gets the most pub around here. Lafayette is the only place in the free world where you can keep up with what's happening in the local softball team during the off season. It's funny, really. This "Louisiana" thing is a joke.

10. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

:grin: I agree, we can work in shifts............ :cool: