Pavlov, Lemmings, BS, & Strawberries

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by XXL TideFan, May 24, 2009.

1. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

This forum is definitely tons more interesting with Martin around. Que pasa, hombre?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Where have I blamed "everything" on humans? Stop making up issues and stay on topic. I said that humans are adding to the global warming problem. And that we should address the issue of reducing our own pollution.

Have you been drinking? :huh: :insane:

We have top men on it.

Top.

Men.

Another straw man. The IPCC is not the UN.

Humans are part of the global ecosystem and have uniquely evolved the ability to change their environment for bad and for good. Humans are not entirely slave to nature anymore. Natural selection have given allowed us to now engineer the world to a certain degree. It is the way of the earth.

The poor misbegotten third world again . . . Look, you are repeating issues that I've already answered. Nobody is advocating against the third world here except you, the topic is global warming. Come back when you have something new.

Get a grip, martin. You are going off on a tangent again.

3. red55

Well, this is a forum for political discussion. It's not your blog.

It must be sad to be incapable of learning anything new.

Then cite me some evidence. You are just ranting like Limbaugh. You say it is your opinion, but you toss out unsubstantiated claims and hail them as facts. That is going to get challenged here, chief. If you can't back it up, your credibility plummets.

That would qualify as a particularly laughable unsubstantiated claim for which you have no basis in fact. I challenge you to document that claim. "Card-carrying lefties" That's a real hoot! The seething cauldrons of pinko bastions breathlessly await your citations. :lol:

I'm a center-left moderate that but I cross the line on certain issues. However goose-stepping fascist peabrains can bring out the pinko lefty professor in me. :wink:

4. red55

I apppeal to you to consider that the consensus of global climatologists, the experts in this field, have good evidence to conclude that human impacts have steepened the warming curve and adversely affect the natural cycles.

We can do something about what humans produce, absolutely. The natural cycles move so slowly that humans can adapt to climate changes. It is the quick rise caused by human-induced warming that can cause problems for us in relatively short order. Conditions that throw the natural cycles out of balance have been things that have caused huge vegetation die-offs and mass extinctions in the past.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

the reason i mention the third world poor folks:

given the premise that human lives matter, you have to ask yourself, what is the most efficient and cost effective way to minimize human misery? and the answer is not to worry about global warming, but to worry about malnutrition and disease. global warming may kill millions of folks two hundred years from now. but millions of folks are dying right now from other reasons. why are they ignored?

the answer is that we do not actually care about people. we care about finding a topic that makes us feel good about ourselves while also being sort of distant and simple.

yes, but i didnt start until later yesterday so i was sober when i wrote that part.

i believe that there are reasons certain memes are catchy and work, and propagate. i think human nature is such that we love to introduce semi-random reasons to feel guilty so that we can seek salvation. so we go out of our way to cast ourselves as guilty. this is one of the foundations of christianity. we are all damned by the original sin. and i do not think it is a coincidence that the original sin was aginst the environment. pople want to feel like they have hurt the precious earth, it makes them feel important and guilty and they like that.

6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Efficiency and cost effectiveness? Those are the only choices you can come up with? Maybe it is more looking out for ourselves first and others second. The poor in Africa aren't ignored, they are abused by those in power in Africa. A lot of Americans wouldn't want to go to war to save many of the countries in Africa... that would cost a lot of money. Climate and pollution issues on the other hand are something that we directly contribute to and are something that may threaten us in the future, so to say it is a problem derived from guilt isn't fully true.

You must have felt guilty before you embraced nihilism.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

well, you would want to actually save lives and not just waste time and money, right?

again, you are nuts if you think you are going to be personally hurt by global warming.

if you were to, for example, put your money into malnutrition programs or disease research or even mosquito nets for malaria, you would save far more folks. dont you think that we should allocate our resources to most efficiently save lives?

of course your argument is that global warming will, at sometime in the future that never quite gets here, kill more people than anything. sure it will.

i was never convinced by any of the stupid philosophies most people are into and therefore never was riddled with religious or white liberal guilt.

8. lsu-i-like

I think its noble to want to help others in Africa. It is still hard to get around the political strife in Africa that causes a lot of the need for help. But concerning ourselves with global warming because it will harm us (or our progeny) or because we want to be good stewards of Earth is not misguided, I don't think. Anyway, buying a billion mosquito nets won't solve the problems of Africa.

I believe someone here noted that the US sends more aid to Africa and around the world than does any other country. I guess we're driven by a whole lot of guilt, with no ounce of benevolence between the whole lot of us.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

i am curious. do you think that global warming will harm your children or their children or their children's children? i am not clear just how menacing this is, and if you genuinely fear for the future of your genes, which i suppose you should, if what al gore has said is true.

also i am curious about how many million americans you think global warming will kill in the next 200 years. my guess is zero.

10. lsu-i-like

I haven't given it much thought and don't spend sleepless nights thinking of impending doom.