Pasquarelli says Dolphins will not make offer soon. Process to slow down.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TejasTiger, Dec 17, 2004.

1. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Something's not right here.

Nick Saban is well aware of the fact that NFL teams cannot being a job search in earnest until after the regular season ends (which is after the New Year), so the real issue here is why did he put such a stringent (which some of you initially called "too long") deadline on getting this done?

I mean, if Nick refuses to consider a job beyond, say, Christmas Day, then NO TEAM can hire him.

What's he up to? I don't buy it being he was surprised by the Dolphins interest, since Saban has been, "monitoring the Dolphins situation for the past year".

My best guess is those negotiations didn't turn out as well as they could have, and now both sides are looking for a face-saving way out of this (in other words, Saban: "I wanted to be fair to LSU by not dragging out the process, and waiting until after New Year's is out of the question"; Miami: "We wanted the coach, but not at the expense of violating league policy").

This may be a glimmer of hope after all...until this time next year, of course.

2. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

THis could lead to two things...Miami interviews a minority candidate this weekend (provided they can find one that doesn't mind being a "token") and they then offer Saban the job publicly. Or they wait until the end of the season to interview a minority (same situation, different day) and are able to offer Saban the job then. To drag the speculation further than the weekend would be a great disservice to the University and it's recruiting effort and I don't look for Saban to undermine that process. The timing is all wrong. If this deal had come up after the Bowl game then I would be a little more worried. Saba is a man of integrity and he won't let this thing simmer for 3 weeks. My bet is Saban will not wait that long. Either he accepts now or he is recruiting come Monday. My bet is the latter.

3. philter

philter Founding Member

I agree the timing issue is the biggest hurdle. Your scenario is not out of the realm of possibility. I don't think Saban blew it, Miami did. They've blown lots of things in the last few years. It could still get done...but it will require either Miami breaking the rules or conducting a sham interview - which will garner the org. very bad media attention...not to mention a very violent reaction from the players (who are already publicly stating their dislike for Saban, the process Miami has used, and the fact that their current HC is popular with the team).

4. philter

philter Founding Member

Might also point out (because I don't think he will) that Crawfish's post a day or so ago foreshadowed the ESPN link comments.

5. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

Here's where I differ with Pasquarelli - i think the more it lingers the better the likelihood Saban goes to the Dolphins. Because the time frame the Dolphins need to look as though they're legitimately interviewing minority candidates gives Saban enough time to coach the Tigers in the Capitol One Bowl. Call me a conspiracy theorist but I think on Jan 6 or 7, a few days after the NFL regular season ends, the Dolphins will call the press conference to introduce Saban as their coach. Thereby, avoiding the $500K penalty from the NFL and also taking off some of the heat for not "legitimately" interviewing a minority candidate. Then the day after that or so LSU announces it will replace Saban with Butch Davis.

6. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

And our recruiting goes down the toilet, if this happens this is the worst. Its Sabans life, but for the University's best interest Saban (As LSU has said) need to make up his mind quickly so ALL of us can move on and find a new coach, or get down to recruiting and put all this crap behind everyone unfortunatly until Next year when we do it all over again.

7. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Totally agree,
    If and when Saban does leave we might have to kiss a recruiting class bye bye for 1 year.
    The scenario doesn't look good one way or the other.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

C'mon SD. There are a lot of coaches who can recruit.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i've never seen the NFL so adamant about this minority deal. they are trying to make a statement and just maybe this will be the deal breaker in the end. I've always loved affirmative action. I will affirm of this.