News No Chases

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by BAY0U BENGAL, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Fixed it. I can spell OK but my typing skills on a laptop leave a lot to be desired.

Now you two are the only ones guilty of posting foul language :hihi::lol:

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I often wonder why cops chase them like that, freak the crooks out, and cause all those wrecks. Crooks can't outrun the helicopter and the radio. Follow them loosely, keep them under surveillance, and wait until an opportune moment to seize them.

3. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

If your police force drives like this, I can't say I blame her. LOL

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqjHNmsLFF8[/MEDIA]

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Plus, the cops have no way of knowing what the perp's story is. He may have lost his job and had a rough childhood.:dis:

6. OkieTigerTK

most oklahoma towns, and the ohp, have rules for chase. when one can and cannot chase, and rules on how.

the push for this came several years ago when there was a high speed chase, i believe by the ohp, that resulted in a crash with an innocent driver of another car killed. the chase/crash ended in a little bitty town on the outskirts of okc. the local police chief (in a force of maybe 3-5 people) was called out to guard the wreckage. the innocent drivers car was VERY mangled. he had been standing there guarding for a bit and when they started to cut everything apart to retrieve whoever was inside, he saw the license plate on the car. it was his wifes car and his and daughter were in the car. the car was so mangled he didnt even recognize it as his wifes car.

needless to say that resulted in him really researching chases and helping develop rules for chase and pushing for departments to enact rules.

7. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

I agree there should be guidelines for certain instances. But police don't initiate pursuits, the criminals do. And they should be the ones held liable, not the officer/city. But, I guess that would make too much sense.

I still think no chase is too far. You would think THAT would open up for liabilities.

8. OkieTigerTK

i agree on all points.

and in his case he did jnot hold the ohp responsible, he just saw a need for guidelines on when to chase and how so as to minimize risk.

but no chase, stupid as hell imo.

btw, the guy is now the county sheriff. and imo, other than jail operations, which is a cluster (and imo cause it was a poorly designed and built county jail with nothing but problems from the beginning), he has been a good county sheriff.

9. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

The county jail. ::shivers::

One reason I'd hate to be any sheriff.

But guidelines and pursuit reform are needed.

10. DthVally Bengal

DthVally Bengal Freshman

Do you honestly need statistics to tell you that police not being authorized to chase (either in a vehicle or on foot) is a bad policy?

1 person likes this.