New Orleans Pop Festival - 1969

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by bayareatiger, Aug 2, 2009.

1. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

I was there first.

Or at least I made that statement here first. :wink:

Me too. August 30th 1975. Tickets were $10.00

Charlie Daniels Band (South's Gonna Do It Again)
    Wet Willie
    Marshall Tucker Band
    The Allman Brothers Band

The CDB blew 'em all away, too bad they were first up.

I was driving a delivery truck out of BR, got out of the shop late, and missed that ferry. Lucky me.

2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

We had passes to State Capitol Dragway everytime. A couple girls would give us passes.

In my younger years I did machinist work for a many of race bikes, cars, boats, etc. I could name off a few and most you would know. Graham Brothers was the big machine shop back in the day. I still keep in touch with many of the guys, saw one yesterday.

As far as the concerts, yea I made the one in the dome. Redemptorist and the Civic Center in Plaquemine had some great bands back in the day, along with Thunderbird Beach. I made a many in the PMAC (I know, before it was the PMAC). Independence Hall had one of the best that I've ever been to, Dan Fogelberg. Dan was truly a talent.

I got to board the S/S Frostia a few months after this happen. I talked with the Captain and the Chief Mate, both said they tried in every way possible to avoid the accident. The ship still had the dents and scrapes on the bow. A sad day.

3. bayareatiger

Loved that place. Really enjoyed the '72 AHRA Summernationals there, had pit passes and snuck up to the top of the tower.

Saw a drag bike wipeout from there.

Saw Wishbone Ash and Humble Pie at Independance Hall.
    Another great show there was REO Speedwagon, Focus, and then Barnstorm with Joe Walsh.

Did you go to any of the Country Music Jamborees in the '70's?

4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

The passes we had were for the top of the tower at SCD. I saw Fat Rat Russell crash while trying to jump some cars. I knew Von Crane and his Jet Cars. Spent most of my time around BTR and the other side of the river. Some girls I knew thought Jimmy Buffett was country......

5. bayareatiger

There was a jet car that crashed there and killed the driver.

His name was Butch Orand and his car was the Maxi-Taxi, owned by the Sibleys.

I saw it melt a car and then run but I wasn't there the night he flipped it.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I saw Fat Rat jump over a helicopter with whirling blades there

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Saw James Brown and Jimi Hendrix at IH on separate occasions. I never heard of Barnstorm but I saw The James Gang with Joe Walsh there

8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

9. bayareatiger

Barnstorm (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I saw 'em the hit was "Rocky Mountain Way" off "The Smoker You Drink, The Player you Get'.

Dude was working the guitar voicebox before Frampton was.

10. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Humble pie !!! yea you rite !!!!

I saw them at the warehouse on Tchopitoulas street in New Orleans 1971 (Junior year in high school) I'm having flasbacks as we speak :hihi:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZMmV6xXYFw[/media]

Never could get permission to go to those pop festivals...but I did spend a lot of time in the head shops of the french quarter.

Abita Springs makes the headlines as a hippie haven...

Louisiana

Louisiana's got a Hippie Haven in the forgotten little village of Abita Springs. The town is located on the northshore of Lake Pontchatrain, about 40 miles north of New Orleans. Once a resort for turn-of-the-century New Orleanians who wanted to flee the summer heat and yellow fever of the city, the old hotels and cottages remained, long after the tourists stopped coming. During the 1970's hippies moved in to the old houses to raise children, make art in community, and swim naked in the cool artesian water. At one point there were 16 jewelry artists living in this town of 1200, and the old "Longbranch Hotel" was a celebrated hippie commune and sight of now mythic hippie parties and gatherings. Today, we have a funky folk art museum, a microbrewery, a town shadow play, a monthly blue grass hootenanny called "The Piney Woods Opry" held in the old town hall, and the most thoughtful "controlled growth" plan of any northshore community. But there are lots of hippies and coffee house scenes sprinkling the northshore, Covington's Columbia Street Grocery, Mandeville's Java Grotto, and I don't know if they qualify as hippies, but damn near everyone gets stoned in Lacombe. Hippies new and old have a loose affiliation of spirit thriving on the northshore. We'll see if it can survive the rampant development and violent loss of greenspace that's occuring as thousands flee suburban New Orleans to build and live here.