New Orleans Pelicans, 2024-25

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by mctiger, Oct 8, 2024.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Time to run it back. Pels win their preseason opener over Orlando. Don't think Ingram played, and Murphy is out with (I believe) a hammy. Murray and Jones were the starting backcourt, CJ hit some 3's coming off the bench and Jordan Hawkins shot pretty well. I didn't see the game, hilites only, but the free agent center, Theiss is his name I think, played fairly well, but he does not look like the kind of body type that's going to hold up for long stints in the paint. Zion looked good, and some day-to-day observers are saying he's in the best shape of his career.

shane0911 likes this.
  2. mctiger

Not a very inspiring pre season. I don't think the projected starting five - Murray, Jones, Zion, Ingram and Theiss - logged a single second on the court together, despite all of them being healthy. We'll have to wait at least 2 weeks to see Trey on the court, the team's medical history suggests it will be a lot longer. I think its going to take awhile to see how the starting and reserve units (looks like a 2nd five of CJ, Jose, Hawkins, Murphy when he's ready and Missi), but there seems to be no option for a big lineup, we'll have to be small and quick, and very disruptive of the passing lanes on defense. Few options for stopping opposing bigs when they get the ball in the paint, and unfortunately, we're going to face a lot of bigs in the Western Conference. We'll see how this works, it all starts tomorrow night vs Chicago.

Murphy agreed to a 4-year extension of his rooke contract today.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2024 at 11:36 AM
  3. mctiger

Jmg likes this.
  4. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

oh hell yeah I love a hard dunk, its the pinnacle of basketball accomplishment

pelicans may be a new sort of hoops this year. I call it "a point guard and 4 bros". positionless, 5 out.

PG: murray
    bro 1: zion
    bro 2: ingram
    bro 3: cj mccollum
    bro 4: herb jones

6th man bro: trey Murphy.

no traditional center

mctiger likes this.
  5. mctiger

Zion has a non-Covid illness and is questionable for the opener. So is Murray, who is out of town for a family emergency and may not make it back in time. Alvarado has a bad knee contusion and is doubtful.

6. mctiger

One Pelican beat writer is supposing when they go with this kind of small lineup, Jones will take the opposing 5. That's a scheme that will rely heavily on keeping the ball out of the paint to begin with.