More idle talk on uniforms

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BrettStah, Dec 12, 2003.

1. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Doesn't the band in some manner incorporate navy into some of the uniforms they wear ?

2. springtxtiger

springtxtiger Founding Member

The pants and the trim on the band uniforms is navy. People would ask me about that a lot, and I never really had an answer for them. Personally I was glad not to have a purple and gold band uniform ... a little too Liberace-like for me.

If any current band students read this ... are you guys wearing the same exact uniforms we wore back when I started in '92, or are they newer ones in the same style? They weren't even brand new back in '92!

3. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I know that there were "some" new ones in '99. I imagine they purchase new ones as needed. The ponchos are navy, also, so when it rains, there is no purple or gold to be seen.

4. TigerBandMello

TigerBandMello Founding Member

Mobile,

the only thing new about our uniforms in '99 were 50 (Maybe 75) new uniform bags and raincoats. :( but i'm glad they ditched them... some of the ones now are exquisitely wretched. For the 2003 football season, the T B's unis are 11/12 years old. But, with all this money coming in...
    I would expect the New uniforms to be quite similar to the present uniforms, but i'm not entirely sure. Besides, weren't the (90's) uniforms a remake of prior uniforms (as in we haven't changed up the uniforms in a Long while)?

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The bright gold looks much, much better on TV than the antique gold. Especially with the traditional white jerseys. Low contrast otherwise.

6. randy foret

randy foret Freshman

The Tigers should wear the purple jerseys for all home non-conference games. White jeserys for all home SEC games. Agree?

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Noooo.

The purple jerseys are ugly and non-traditional. LSU is widely recognized for the white jerseys. Once a year is too much for the purple.

8. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Ah, that must have been what I was thinking about. I knew mine wasnt new. :shock:

9. FSOne

FSOne Founding Member

It's not navy. It's a special dye (I think it has its own name - "LSU Purple" - something silly like that). Linda likes to remind everyone it's not navy (purple tends to look "cheap"). It is really close. You have to look at it in the light to see the difference.

The current raincoats are navy, but the ones from before (80's sometime) were bright purple.

And for those that missed the reference, Linda = Linda Moorhouse (the real band director). She's the one that runs rehearsal and is the actual instructor listed on the schedule. Frank's marching band days are mostly over (he does the wind ensemble). He's around Tiger Band for moral support and to conduct the Alma Matter/Banner.

10. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

I like things the way they are, current colors and unis included.

I can't blame fans for wanting something different. But I think we lose sight of how important it is to keep tradiations going. We have some of the sharpest unis in all of college. That is not just a biased LSU fans view, but look around the net and you will find college football unis lists with LSU always in the top 5. If we change things up, I doubt we would rank that high.

Most teams that make a drastic change, end up going back to the original stuff. Remember Wash, their alumns fought to bring back the tradiational unis. SC, decided to go back to old school unis, when they saw that the "newer" unis were getting away from a classic look. Believe it or not, there is a small group of Michigan fans that want to change. They want blue pants and blue unis, which will never happen.

I think we are starting to build respect again in college football, part of that is the look of the team. Change the unis now, and we look like Ore searching for a look that works, or Miami looking to cash in on newer styles. Even collegefootballnews said only LSU can pull off yellow unis.