Mayonnaise

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by OkieTigerTK, Jan 11, 2010.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

the "what did you have for lunch" thread seems to be getting diverted, and got me thinking about the condiment people either love, or cant look at without gagging.

and there has been some interesting stories about what people put it on. some interesting, some gross. (mayo on grits definitely strikes me as gross.)

soooo..... since i am easily entertained these days, and needing entertaining, give me your mayo stories. what do you put it on if you like it? if you dont like it, what way have you seen it used that gags you the most?

personally, i like it so who knows what i might be tempted to try once i hear it.

btw, i cant get blue plate mayo here. thats just sad.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I love the stuff and use it on all of my sandwiches. I've already posted that I dip my fries in it. The avocado mayo I made at the restaurant was used on a vegetarian sandwich made of fresh spinach, sauteed mushrooms, avocado half and Swiss cheese (melted) all served on some store bought Ciabatta. It was a good seller and I should offer it again soon. I use it as a vinaigrette in tuna and chicken salads.

one part mayo, one fourth part creole mustard, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce (sembal olek) lemon juice, cane syrup and Creole seasoning all to taste. You can be heavy with the "to taste" because when you add the rest of your ingredients for the tuna or chicken salad it gets diluted.

Use mayo and sour cream together with olive oil and apple cider vinegar, hot sauce, onions and garlic and anything else you might want to add as a marinade for all those leftover crab claws after a boil. Just blend everything in a blender and crack the claws and marinate overnight in a jar or bowl.

Add it to any left over home made salad dressing along with one raw egg, blend it in a blender and the oil and vinegar won't readily separate. you'll have something new and refreshing. The vinegar "cooks" the egg molecules

Mayo is like the food equivalent of duct tape...it has so many uses.
    I once even used it to lubricate a mechanical rotary slicer once when I cooked offshore.

3. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

Can't stand it, unless in very small amounts. It stems from when I was very young and was fed that questionable Southern Standard, Potato Salad. I tried some, puked, and never wanted it again. It turns out that the aunt that made it accidentally used Mayo that was sour. I hope no one else ever suffered this fate. I can think of some posters that should, though...:)

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't use tartar sauce very often so there is never any in the fridge when I need it. What I do is add some sweet pickle relish to some mayo and add a dash of hot sauce and a little Tony Chacheries

5. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Blue Plate is the KING! I can't find it here in Houston(have not looked too hard), so I just drag it back from La. My wife thinks I'm crazy and says she can't taste the difference. Which is why she is not allowed to use it...;)

I am fairly normal when it comes to application, but my family wasn't always. Think my grandmother put it on grapefruit, and I also seem to recall her adding it to her spinach. Yuck.

1 person likes this.
  6. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I dunk my fries in mayo. Hellman's only,

7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

as i said about when my wife does the same thing: "i have to look away"

that is just nasty!

8. Celtic Tiger

Celtic Tiger Tiger Stadium West Dorm

Parkway Backery, Parasol's, or Short Stop sloppy roast beef Poboys with equal amounts of mayo and gravy just dripping with a long neck Barqs. It just don't get any better than that. :thumb:

9. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

The family that runs Short Stop is one of the finest you'll ever meet. I'm friends with "the short stop heiress" and her husband and children who live in Covington and my life is so enriched because of their friendship. I'm honored to have such friends.

Short Stop was one of the places I had in mind when I wrote on the Bear's thread that, as good as Bear's is, there are plenty of others equally good.. :thumb:.

10. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

I hate mayo so bad. I can't think of anything that would require such filth. My cousins used to put it on their black eyed peas. The ONLY time I use it is when I make homemade mashed potatoes. It helps make em fluffy.

1 person likes this.