Many dead in Virginia Tech shooting

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by red55, Apr 16, 2007.

1. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

The more I think about it, the more I think he didn't just fly in. This took planning, and time to prepare for. This was thought out. He acquired the weapons. It sounds like he may have had some sort of body armor on. He had chains to secure the doors of the building.....

I can see the GF angle though, and the random killing might have been a way to punish those who he blamed for whatever problem he had. This person must have possessed a level of hatred that was off the charts. Taking 32 life's, with the intention of taking even more, isn't something done lightly. This person wanted to send a message, and he definitely accomplished that. It pisses me off that these scumbags seem to always kill themselves, or put themselves in a position to where the cops have to kill them. It's like they believe that it somehow adds more mystery and intrigue to their actions.

2. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Ok..I am going to jump on my high horse real quick. I am sure I will offend some but as you all know I am not one to get into these "free speech alley" discussions! So here I go and beat me, but whatever...

This IS NOT a gun control issue!!! This is a sanity issue! Seriously guys, how many times have you been mad, did youever blow people away to make your point?

I know....his parents were mean, kids were mean, his loved one cheated on him, abortion is legal, American Idol sux, he has to pay taxes, there is a war, OOOOHHHH...and the worse...he will one day have to get a real job!!!

A day in the life of us all and some things may fit others don't and we could add more problems! The end result is we do not blow people away because our life sux...we deal with it to the best of our abilty! We get mad and scream and holler but really...!

3. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

This is horrible. This could have happened anywhere. This hits home more than Columbine. I mean, hell, we played/will play the school in football. Could have easily been LSU, UNO, etc....

1 person likes this.
  4. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

Sigh. I think we'll see that he was probably the influence of something when he did this. Also, every major news site I could think of has this as it's front page story- Al Jazeera, BBC, etc.

5. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

Eh, I doubt it. This took too much planning to be done under the I.

6. meauxjeaux2

meauxjeaux2 Founding Member

Sounds like the dude was a chinese triad or something.It was said that the weapons of choice were 9mm and a .22 cal.To have killed so many with these two small caliber weapons,he was a very good aim.I'm all for marshals in the classrooms,or at least one marshal in the buildings.

7. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

As much of a tragedy it is, and with no information being released as of yesterday around 5, I couldn't take the newscasters trying to blame the cops for the 2nd round of killings. You want to bring that up, at least wait till some info is released.

8. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

I think those people who like to play the blame game like a Monday morning quarterback should just SHUT UP, esp. after such a tragic incident. That doesn't help the families of the victims. I am always curious how these people would have reacted if they were the cops or the authories at the scene.... If they had broadcasted the first shooting over loudspeakers over the whole campus, that would have stirred up quite a panic scene and I am sure someone would come up to criticize that action.

Unless most people are trained in self defense, the regular citizens are like sitting ducks. Most people in the time of chaos would instinctively try to run away from the scene like jumping out of windows, and would only start thinking about jumping the guy if they are cornered; however the time frame available for such decision is very short.

I am not so sure if putting a marshall at every school building would be that effective anyway as the gunman with premeditated intent to kill would probably go after the marshall first! The problem obviously is that in this crazy world we live in, you will never know when or where these kooks would show up; going by the same reasoning, we should then beef up security at ALL public places, eg. malls, stadiums, sports arenas etc. As Tirk stated earlier, most of these people look benign and have a low profile...."still waters run deep".

Having said all that, I am not sure if there can ever be an effective policy to ensure the safety of people in such kind of incidences. The crazies may also use bombs, the know out of which is readily available. I am not a gun owner; however it may be one solution to enhance one's survival chances in such a rare (relatively) situation. Learning self defense techniques wouldn't be a bad idea, esp. in big cities. Unfortunately, wherever you are these days, one may need to be very cognizant of your surroundings...not to make everyone paranoid.

I feel for the families of the victims who lost their lifes in this mindless tragedy.

9. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Exactly.... they hadn't even identified all the kids (or notified their families) and the media talking heads are ragging on about potential lawsuits, etc.

Sad, indeed.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Don't be a stereotyper.

Please don't misinterpret my post. I don't advocate removing gun-free zones from schools. I certainly don't advocate arming professors.

At LSU we have policemen who are armed and trained to seal with emergencies in a coordinated manner. What we need is many more campus police and we need them in visible positions all over campus. Crowded places like the Quadrangle and The Union should have walking and bicycle policemen always there. There need to be more walking beats around campus in addition to the car patrols. Right now campus police are less visible than the brown-shirt parking marshalls.

Busy areas like the commuter lots off Nicholson Extention, the intersection of South Campus and Tower Drive, and big buildings like CEBA should have a cop walking around all of the time.

This kind of high-profile positioning of armed and trained police will help deter the kooks from thinking that a campus would be a cakewalk. It would help with a lot of other serious and petty crime issues on campus, too.

Better to have adequate trained professional with guns, radios, backups, and a plan. Frightened amateurs cannot be counted on, cannot be coordinated, and are not very effective anyway. It's hard to stop a kook before he's already killed sombody. A big and visible campus police force would be a better deterrent than the possibility of students carrying concealed weapons.

I think more armed, uniformed cops walking the halls and streets is the ticket, rather than covert armed officers.

Arming teachers would just make them the first ones shot. Better would be to equip teachers, resident assistants, administrators and managers around campus with "Panic Button" emergency alert pagers that would bring all the armed police running instantly.