Loston to LB?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Dec 1, 2009.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Buddy Songy was talking about it today and I have asked a few others about the possibility and it seems he is going to tried out at LB in the Spring. I for one hope it works out and he transitions as fast as Harry Coleman did. He can cover and is a head hunter.

I am all for getting your playmakers on the field and this would be a great way to do it instead of Loston splitting reps in the backfield next year.

However, situations change and we may need him in the defensive backfield next year after all.

2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Thats really surprising to hear, I thought Jones would move to LB, even though I wouldnt want him to.

3. tigerfan1974

tigerfan1974 Veteran Member

How big is Loston?

4. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

He's listed at 6' 2" 193 lbs

5. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

I guess I'm surprised. It would seem that Chad Jones has the size for linebacker, although I know it's not just size that goes into these decisions.

What was wrong with his hand that required surgery, BTW?

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

better to move a guy earlier in his career than later.

7. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

Loston is fast too. He'd be a perfect 'linebacker' for the 4-2-5 type of D we run.

8. arizonafan

arizonafan Veteran Member

I'm guessing it will depend if Chad turns pro in either football or baseball. If he is gone then I suspect Loston stays at safety. If not them maybe he is converted. A lot may depend on how big they can get him by next year. I read somewhere that he is up to around 205 lbs. I think I'd like to see him stay at safety.

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I personally think that if Chad comes back for another year that he will stay at FS. Miles has said on numerous occasions that FS is his natural position and with him playing baseball in the offseason it would be hard to bulk him up any before the Spring, he will probably lose weight again and have to work back to his current weight like last year. Plus he could be splitting the Spring football practices with baseball next year if he decides to return for another year which would give him even less time to learn a new position.

10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Yes, I would think he could fill the role as an even more athletic version of Coleman. Loston seems to be a pure safety, IMO.