little bunny foo foo

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by OkieTigerTK, Oct 3, 2011.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

let's talk rabbit. i am in need of some good rabbit recipes. my good game cookbook (folse's "after the hunt") got destroyed. now i am gonna have to ask for help until i can find another good game cookbook. i am hoping i can find some fresh rabbit, and when i do i want to be prepared.

so, who has some good ways to fix rabbit.

2. Eq4bits

Eq4bits (Deep East) Texas Tiger

3. OkieTigerTK

yes! you are a doll!

i didnt even think to see if he had any online recipes. i was hoping some of the hunters would have some. having some folse ones again (for all kinds of game) is wonderful!

4. Eq4bits

Eq4bits (Deep East) Texas Tiger

You're most welcome. I have a bunch of game cookbooks but they are all down at the farm in MS so I've gotten into the habit of googling and bookmarking. Then I just use my iPhone in the kitchen for following a recipe, using the timer on the phone (if needed) and then it's also handy for taking pictures.

I made a crawfish-crab 'pie' for brunch last Saturday for pre-game, then after the game whipped up some 'Wildcat' Short Ribs with Rosemary in wine & cream and served over a bed of roasted mushrooms. It was blissfully delish.

5. OkieTigerTK

if by any chance you have "after the hunt" somewhere else, i would suggest keeping it in a safe environment. it is out of print and the price has skyrocketed. i am sick about losing mine. it was great just for reading.

i need to just google and bookmark some pages on my phone. i use the timer on it.

i love just curling up with a cookbook to read for ideas. i dont think i'll ever be able to get away from printed cookbooks, just because of all the years i have had a habit of doing that.

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

This recipe for wild rabbit is one of my favorites:

1/ In some oil, brown THE HELL out of it like you would any "brown gravy".
    2/ When meat is browned take out and add yellow onions, parsley, onion
    tops (shallots)
    3/ Add water, scratch pot.
    4/ Put meat back in pot. Bring water to a boil. 5/ After it's cooked for a
    while add 1/2 to 1 can of cream of mushroom soup.

THAT is THE biggest secret ingredient. It will not turn the gravy white either . Makes it thick with a flavor you'd never imagine. Someone showed me that while I was in college and could not believe the result.

You can add the Cream of Mushroom any time after you add the meat. The reason I wait a bit is it has more of a tendency to stick to the side of the pot than just water.

7. OkieTigerTK

first of all, the recipe sounds yummy. and easy. i will have to try it once i find rabbit.

however, and i hate to do this since you were kind enough to post a recipe, but i'm gonna. not trying to be a witch, honest. :D

the green onion tops are scallions.

shallot are in the allium family but grow in a cluster that is shaped like an onion

shallot:

[​IMG]

8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

You are technically correct, which is the best kind of correct, but any Cajun worth his cayenne knows shallot means green onions.

9. OkieTigerTK

really? even here, and from my friends who taught me to cook, for scallions they just said green onion, which is what i always say. learn something new every day.

the only person i hear say scallions is my mom and sister.

eta: my apologizes to tiga. i had never heard shallots used for green onion, and may be technically correct, but it appears that it is a common usage i never knew about.

1 person likes this.
  10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

One of those regional things I guess.

Anyway here is the closest thing I can find to my Grammaw's hasenpfeffer recipe.