Lets talk conference realignment...

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by locoguano, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

lol.... in basketball, for sure!

2. dudley

dudley oops!

Apparently, according to the video in the above link, they are going to have 4 divisions with 4 teams each. That didn't make sense to me at first but then it dawned on me. They're not done yet!

3. TexTiger

TexTiger Founding Member

I have a friend at Neb Athletic Dept that says Neb, Mizzou, ND and Rutgers were offered by the Big 10 today

4. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

A link to confirm Tex Tiger's friends rumor perhaps?

Sports Radio 810 WHB - Powered by Fans

Notre Dame won't take the deal. 90% chance they say no. So if true, I have to believe the Big 10 is looking to go to 14.

Big NORTH

East Division- Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue

West Division- Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska

The question then becomes, do the Pac-10 and SEC join in and does the Big 12 get drawn and quartered in this new re-alignment? I can definitely see the SEC lusting after Texas and a chance to expand media market share westward, and for the Pac-10, the oppurtunity to knock out a BCS rival conference and the fear of getting left behind in the era of the Super-Conference might be enough to force the more reluctant in that league to permit expansion eastward. SEC takes, at minimum, Texas and Texas A&M, Pac-10 takes Colorado and either Utah or Colorado State. Big 12 might survive that, and desperately lines up a list of replacements (BYU or Utah, depending on who the Pac-10 doesn't take, as well as maybe Air Force, Wyoming, UTEP, New Mexico, TCU, Houston) but would certainly be finished by a move to 16 by either the Big Ten (taking Iowa State as well) or the SEC (takes the Oklahoma twins along with the Texas twins).

Bottom line; three leagues highly stable, very rich, very powerful and on the attack (Big Ten, SEC, Pac-10) against three leagues weak, divided, not nearly as profitable or prestigious, and just trying to survive (Big East, ACC, Big 12). That's the narrative.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I just don't see the SEC adding Texas, nor do I see Texas wanting any part of the SEC. It's hard enough to win the SEC as it is and easy enough for Texas to win the Big-12. If the SEC goes for the Texas market, expect Texas A&M and Houston instead. East Texas is a huge market and that would add one upper-tier team and one lower tier team.

6. dudley

dudley oops!

Remember it's not about winning Conference championships or even about Football. It's about TV revenue. The SEC as an organization does not care who wins the championship ( well, maybe Alabama). Adding Texas would definitely increase competition, but that would likely add to viewership.

I think the SEC would love to have Texas, as would the BIG NORTH and also the BIG WEST. I really think the BIG 12 is toast, and Texas will likely join one of the big 3 conferences. Right now I would guess it would be the BIG WEST. They probably have the most to offer. Wherever Texas goes, Texas A&M will go. That's about politics.

I think the SEC is going to be the big loser in all this. LSU may lose some recruits from Texas it might otherwise get. The BIG WEST and The BIG NORTH may even try to make the Rose Bowl the de facto National Championship game, like the tried to do in '03.

7. dudley

dudley oops!

OK, continuing on. For LSU Football fans, where Texas winds up is about recruiting. Say Texas does wind up in the SEC. The media in Texas starts covering the SEC. Athletes in Texas would get an earfull of SEC as they are growing up, rather that PAC 10 or BIG NORTH, giving LSU a better shot at them.

But again, If I had to guess, I would say Texas goes West.

1 person likes this.
  8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i'll bite. what the hell are the big west and big north conferences?:huh:

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

10. dudley

dudley oops!

Just hypothetical names for the expanded Big 10 and Pac 10.