Legendary off-campus bars - ANCIENT THREAD

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Pastimer, Feb 2, 2004.

1. attigeratlaw

attigeratlaw Founding Member

What was the place over in the old Rebel Place center on Florida? They tore it down to build BRCC.

2. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

By my junior year the university decided to put a bar in the basement of Hatcher Dormitory. I think the university was thinking two things: #1- this will keep the kids from going off campus, getting drunk and then driving drunk back to campus. #2 - (more importantly) here's a chance to make some money off beer sales. As it turned out not many people went there, at least not to my observation, although the "trivia bowl" was held there.

Of course you could always buy long necks at the Union.

The folks up here in Virginia can't believe that LSU would put a bar in a freshman dorm. I always tell them, "But that's LSU."

3. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

The Happy Note. Stiffest drinks in town and a great jukebox w/ Patsy Cline on it.

4. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Whoever said that the Gator Bar doesn't serve food anymore, I can remember eating a few bowls of Red Beans and White Beans in there late at night on Sundays...I went there on Sunday night, and TRUST ME, it's far from "refined"...

Still the same rickety building...Still the same good live music...

I can remember back in the late 90's, before I was 21, Randy Quaid of "Everybody's All-American" fame had his band in there playing...

Getting intoxicated with the "Grey Ghost" was unforgettable...

5. TigerEducated

I can also remember on Sunday night feeding the black lab mix dog in there in the bar a shot of Jagermeister...So I don't know how "rough" it was back then, but it hasn't improved much...

;-)

6. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

TE:

I was working the door at the Gator about a year and a half ago when Dennis Quaid showed up. He was great. I took a picture with him.

I also got lucky and was working the door one night when Gena Lee Nolin showed up w/ a date...took a picture w/ her, too.

7. TigerEducated

G_MAN113...I might know you...My friend Brad's uncle owns the joint, unless he's been telling me a tall tale all these years...You know any Pourciau's?

8. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I don't know about that, TE. Last time I was there, the Gator was owned by a couple of gay (openly...no speculation here) guys named Frank & Jim. I was unemployed at the time, and helped make ends meet by working the door Sunday nights for a friend
    of mine who was playing there. This guy and whoever was playing with him would split the take from the door (with a little piece of the pie for me), and as a courtesy, I would check IDs for Frank & Jim. After about 8-9 months of doing it, I quit...got tired of dealing w/ belligerent drunks who didn't want to pay a cover.

It was an interesting gig, though...especially when the Gold Club crew would come out. BTW, most guys would think having two
    sloppy drunk Gold Club strippers hanging all over them would be a
    good thing...but they'd be wrong. Trust me on this one...it
    got nasty.

9. TigerEducated

To be honest...Victoria from the GC and a few from Escapades were with us last Sunday night...LOL!

BTW-That's his uncle, alright...Just didn't want to bring that up...

10. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

During the 80's, if you were non greek, it was Thursday night at the Bengal. They would give the girls 2 drink coupons, so you wouldn't even have to buy them a drink. At closing time they would play "Captain Jack" by Billy Joel. Great memories.

Now I am a recovered alcoholic (5 years)! So be careful out there!