Legendary off-campus bars - ANCIENT THREAD

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Pastimer, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

This subject has probably been covered more than once in here, but I would like to know what was/is your favorite Baton Rouge bar during your time at LSU, or currently - and why.

During my tenure (73-78) my "home away from home" was The White Horse on Highland Road. I think it was later Shanahan's but was later closed for many, many years. They played good music and had good pinball machines. Many nights in there listening to "Cashmere" and "Suffragette City."

Later on my crew and I liked Faps and Zachary's in Tiger Land. Lots of good looking women - and walking distance of my apartment.

Does anyone remember "Chuck's" across the river in Addis? Blue collar road house that served beer in frozen "fish bowl" goblets. Ossie Brown FORCED us to go over there when the bars in EBR closed down at midnight Saturday!

2. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Sure, I made many appearances in all those watering holes...

What about the legendary San Souci across the river ?

Who doesn't remember those drunken 2AM rides?

And the Brass Rail, acroos the street from the White Horse, with the quarter shots of rot gut bourbon?

I barely remember bellying up to the bar with 2 bucks and ordering 4 doubles & coke...

And last but not least MAGOO's!!!
    With the Rogo pinball machine, pool table, Falstaff on tap, home fries, Phil's red beans & rice...

You could donate plasma in the back and come around to Magoo's for a GREAT time...

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The Country Place was just about 100 yards over the parish line on Highway 30 and stayed open 24/7.

4. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

I had many a fight with the Rogo pinball machine! The Brass Rail was a classic. It smelled like vomit and sold those 25 cent highballs - but also cooked up the best hamburger in BR.

Just like in a 3 Stooges flick, we were in there one night and a cat walked in through the back door and into the kitchen. A few moments later we heard a the cat let out a squawk and then over the PA "Jerry, your order's ready!"

5. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I'm writing in for my dad, who hung out at "Club Carousel", played pool at Nick's, and was a general rabble rouser on the "Gold Coast" out in Port Allen across the old bridge ...

What about the "Gold Coast"...I've heard some stories about those places over there from him and others...Any stories about the "Gold Coast"?

Pookie and GypsyPhyllis like this.
  6. xlnsports

xlnsports Cajun In Exile

I remember all those places also the Bengal and we would go to the Kingfish and watch the latest upcoming bands we even saw the sex pistols once. Great memories also we used to go Chelsea steet pub in i think cortana mall to see some band that played jerry jeff walker and such type music .
    They had a 2 drinks i remember fondly one called a death and one called a funeral... man i miss those days LOL

Pookie likes this.
  7. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

I never hung out up there very much, but I recall a place there called the Candlelight. The house band there was "Raccoon." The Candlelight had an unforgettable radio ad that sounded like something for State Capitol Dragway, the message being that they wanted you to come out to the Candlelight and "boogie" to the music of Raccoon. It went:

"Boogie! BOOGIE!! BOOGIE!!!!
    Candlelight! CANDLELIGHT! CANDLELIGHT!!!!
    Raccoon! RACCOON! RACCOON!!!!"

Somehow I was able to resist the magnetism of that ad and never did go "boogie" to the music of Raccoon at The Candlelight.

8. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Founding Member

I used to go drinking at Slinky's on Fridays with some of the professors.

9. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Every once and awhile Percy Sledge "When a man loves a woman" would perform at the Candlelight...

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Red's list:

1. Red beans & rice and draft beer with the bikers on Monday's at Magoo's on Chimes St..
    2. Nine-ball pool and longnecks at Dirty Pierre's (later became the Bayou) on Chimes.
    3. Happy hour at the Brass Rail on Highland (1970's)
    4. Everlovin' Friday's at The Library on Chimes, cheap 20 oz drafts in a paper cup (1980's).
    5. Fishbowl drafts and crawfish late-night at the Sans Souci across the river.
    6. Music and longnecks at Cahoots on Nicholson Drive: Asleep at the Wheel, Willie, Marcia Ball, etc.