Josh Booty has been cut

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUBayouBengals, Sep 17, 2003.

1. BasileTiger

BasileTiger Founding Member

I think he'll be fine

Personally, I think Booty will land with another NFL squad. He has the arm strength to play in the league. Just imagine if the Saints would pick him up. That would be wild!!! Personally, I'm kinda of tired of everyone bashing the guy. Yea, he went to Evangel and we all know what goes on there, but the guy really loved LSU.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Re: Booty

What I said was:

"He" being J.D. Booty, not J.D. Booty's Dad.

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I don't really dislike Josh either but I'm glad that the Booty's have cut ties with LSU. The fact that Josh saw the handwriting on the wall and left after his junior year really helped the 2001 team come together. It was like, the soap opera is finally over.

4. Tigerdog007

Tigerdog007 Founding Member

I agree with LSU99. I am glad the Bootys have no more ties to LSU. They seem to think they are better then they really are. But I do hope he lands with another team. I will always support any former Tiger!!

5. JETigER

JETigER Founding Member

origianlly posted by defense. I have all the respect in the world for Josh b/c he came back to LSU after playing baseball and he gave up alot of money, not many people would do that.

my reponse... when josh came out of high school, LSU did not have a good quarterback on campus. so he waits until later when we have two great quarterbacks on campus. if he would have come straight out of high school, he would have been the only and best quarterback we had at the time. but no, he waited and he was later the third best quarterback we had.

6. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

I have nothing personal against Booty, but I never felt he was a true college QB. He reminded me of the age old drop back QB who couldn't make the reads needed to win games in the SEC. I know he and his family have nothing but talent, but in a way he got a free ride here at LSU. Rohan was hands above the best leader for our team, just the way the team responded to Rohan over Booty, proved to me who the best LSU QB was at the time. What did bother me about Booty was the way the fans would say, "sure he might not be great now, but wait until he gets to the NFL". I used to feel, if he cant' do it here, how on earth will he be able to do it in the NFL.

It is a shame he got cut though, but Sabanfan said it best:

"It's a tough business. There is no such thing as loyalty in the NFL. All college juniors should take heed. Unless you are a special talent, a "lock" to make a club, I would stay put until my senior season was over."

And that is why I wish LSU could hold on to it's talent a little longer, instead of watching Jr's head off the NFL. Many times they could up their value if they stay for that extra year. But I do assume it is hard to turn down the prospect of making all that money and getting to play in the NFL.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I heard part of Nick Saban's radio show last night and somebody asked him if he encouraged players to stay for their senior year. He said that in most cases the player is not ready for the NFL and would benefit from another year of college football. He said he fully supported Josh Reeds decision to turn pro because he was sure to be a late first round or high second round pick and that Reed wouldn't have improved his stock with the NFL by playing another year in college. Even though I'm sure that Nick would have loved to have seen #25 hauling in those passes in Tiger Stadium last year.

8. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

And Curley Hallman may have remained coach for at least 4 more years....I shudder to think.

9. I am a fan of Josh and hate seeing him get cut. I don't think the 'soap opera' was a Booty thing as much as it was an Evangel thing. There would have probably never been any drama had the Booty's been from West Monroe instead.

:lsug:

10. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

How true you are. You're right, there IS NO loyalty in the NFL--which is a MAJOR REASON why I prefer college football.

A lot of decisions don't make sense. Kinda like the Saints cutting Jake Delhomme after last season to sign Bouman. Not a very smart move in my book because it isn't like Bouman is head-and-shoulders better...