Is the torch passed from Kobe to King James?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Jan 13, 2009.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

You're going with Bhelm's boy?

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Yeah, but I obviously wouldnt be that upset if I was "stuck" with CP3. Williams can do everything CP3 can do and is twice his size.

3. islstl

He can't use his body like CP3 can.

In fact no one can. He's uncanny. That makes him every bit as physical as Williams.

4. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

What? ;)

They just have different styles. Williams is more like Jason Kidd...pick your poison I suppose.

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

When Jordan started winning championships, his highlight reel dunks pretty much ceased. It's only when developed his unstoppable fade away jumper and stifling defense that he truly became dominant. I think the same argument could be made about Kobe. Although he still has jaw dropping moments, his dominance comes from his ability to hit shots besides being double/triple teamed and his ability to shut down the opposition's best player.

1 person likes this.
  6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Thanks for the support but you are right both are their own type of players and I could live with either one of them.

7. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

Jordan didn't develop said fade away jumper until his second 3-peat with the Bulls. When MJ started winning titles, he was still driving to the hoop at will.

As far as defense goes, MJ was always great on that end of the court. Won his Defensive Player of the Year award back in 1988 three years before his first ring. 1988 also started his streak of making the defensive all-pro team.

Jordan has always said that what got him and the Bulls over the hump and finally started winning titles was when he started trusting his teammates. He realized he couldn't do it by himself. After that they couldn't be stopped.

1 person likes this.
  8. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

When did Kobe get said torch?

I would take James over Kobe anyday. Biggest reason being James is a total team player while Kobe still thinks he can do it all by himself.

James took a pathetic Cavs team to the Finals two years ago, while Kobe didn't even sniff the Finals until LA got some talent around him.

James also realized he needs to play D as well. This year he's all over the court blocking shots, making steals, diving after loose balls. Plus from what I can tell, he's trusting his teammates more this year. Therefore, Cavs are the best team in the league right now.

Maybe Kobe/James will decide who's better in June. That's the Finals everyone wants too see.

9. islstl

The one thing that stands out in Kobe's and LeBron's game is Kobe's ability to create his own shot anytime anywhere. Juxtapose that to LeBron's game where he constantly get's a pick to set his shot up (or a drive to the basket) and he cannot create his own shot on any kind of consistent basis.

That's the big difference in crunch time.

Kobe is a better defensive player than LeBron right now. Kobe always guards the best player on the other team much more often than LeBron does.

1 person likes this.
  10. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Complete misconception -- they are both smart players. Lebron is the center of the offense because he doesnt have as much talent around him and now that Kobe has more talent he waited for the game to come to him. He has taken two shots tonight after one quarter. Kobe took a season high 32 last night when he had to.

Lebron had some talent and an easy conference. It showed when he got swept in the Finals. Troy Smith looked great because they beat one good team in Michigan. They showed up for the BCS title game and were exposed.

Shaq wouldn't have accomplished anything without Penny, Kobe and DWade. Its why it is a team game.
    Not to people that worry about refs even in their sleep. He has been the games most popular player for a decade.