Is the Offense Good Enough to Make a Real Run?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Robidoux87, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

I would call Burrow's season so far spotty, but promising. Here then, are some things that worry me about the LSU offense.

- I'm not seeing a lot of the space-creating formations that most programs have adopted to some degree. What LSU does on passing plays looks straight out of 1982.
    - Receivers never seem to be open. I'll concede the very strong opponents so far.
    - Are TEs here for blocking, and blocking only?
    - Does Steve Ensminger - who is 60 years old and has nothing on his coaching resume that stands out - have ideas that can keep the chains moving against tough defenses in 2018?

I'll hang up and listen.

LSUTiga, islstl, furduknfish and 2 others like this.
  2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Really good observations. Reflecting on the 3/4 season CSE was OC after CLM was fired. I thought he created a lot more spacing than I’ve been seeing these first few games. So, I agree with you about that.

didit, Robidoux87 and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  3. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

4. BP

BP Founding Member

Two of the three games have been against better defenses in the nation. I imagine its kind of hard to have a wide open offense when you have a inexperienced quarterback in a new system with an Oline that ha been adequate at best. Burrows was under constant pressure and have to leave the tight end and RB in much of the game for protection. If you only have two receivers, you ain't gonna have a wide open offense.

On the other hand, E did run a much more open offense in 2016, and he and O have both stated frequently that this is what they want. But, you can't run an Indy 500 type offense when you have a Ford Fiesta.

I think we have the potential to get there. It will be interesting to see how it develops this year.

LSU_4_LIFE and Robidoux87 like this.
  5. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

I think so far ensiminger has played with the cards that have been dealt. As these young guys get experience and some seasoning you will start seeing the flush and full houses and by the end of the year some four of a kind.

Then its all about staying healthy and making it happen.

I would agree with you on the design of some of the plays.

There have been too many times I see on rollouts where 3 receivers are within 5 yards of each other.Wher is the proper spacing. I don't know if its design of the play or the receivers are not keeping proper spacing.

We need to talk about a play breaking down and what to do after original route is busted.
    One break deep and 1 break back and one find a hole near sideline.

I don't really think we have seen the full playbook yet.

I prefer a different type of fake punt too. run that fake with him starting outside and have receiver breaking to sideline and give punter run pass option. Just y 2 cents. Or dress a qb up in 18 too and send him on to be punter.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

With what we have seen so far I'm saying no.

That doesn't mean there isn't room to grow. I believe the talent is there. I want to see what happens when we get to put AM back on the OL. The OL still needs to gel and with or without McGee. Run game HAS to get better. I mean we really still don't have an identity and I'd wished we did by this time in the season.

The good news is the team doesn't seem to quit. Being down 21-10 late in a game that way especially since nothing seemed to work from what felt like the 1st quarter could have caused them to go into the tank, it didn't.

More good: While Jeaux seems to lock in, he isn't careless with the ball. I'd rather him throw it away or it be incomplete than throw it to the other team.

ParadiseiNC, kcal, TheRealist and 5 others like this.
  7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I think we’ll continue to develop and we’ll give every opponent all they want.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Receivers don’t seem to be open because most of the time we are running max protect. It’s easy when 6 people are covering 2 routes.

LSUTiga likes this.
  9. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

I don’t think we’re clicking enough on offense, yet. Yet.

LSU_4_LIFE and lsu-i-like like this.
  10. Guido Merkins

Guido Merkins Founding Member

I don't think so, but I thought they would lose on Saturday and they didn't, so now is not the time to say that.

I think you have to beat Bama to win the West and Bama's offense is the best I have seen them have, maybe ever. Tua is an alien. Georgia also has more talent than us. Florida, Miss St, and Texas A&M aren't gonna be easy outs either. Judging by the Auburn game, I think LSU will have a bunch of games that come down to the last minute and I'm not sure you win all of those. The law of averages says you won't.

In any event, I think only the most diehard actually think this is a championship team this year. Next year?? With all the guys coming back and the class coming in, they should be able to contend for whatever they want.

BP and LSU_4_LIFE like this.