I'm at my wits' end.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Atreus21, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I have posted ideas, but have yet to see one worth a chit (including my own).

Question for you, why don't you watch the NFL?
    I would, but it's not televised.

With your playoff system, that game would have had ZERO importance to anyone not in that stadium that day. It would have determined who was the 1 seed and who was the 2. IF these two teams meet in the playoffs, it would be on a Neutral field. Meaning what? We gonna stay up to see who get's to decide what color jersey we're wearing?

This year, my team happens to be one of them enjoying the ride. My point is every year, there are teams in this position. That's just not the case in the NFL, NBA, MLB, College Basketball, or College Baseball.

You're not expanding the teams. You're just changing WHICH teams it is doing the watching. For your system, the top 4 are off week one. So they're not watching any other games, because their irrellevant. The next 4 teams get a home game, so yeah, 5 and 6 might watch the top 4, but 7 and 8? Doutful, because it is unlikely that enough teams ahead of them will lose for them to get a bye week. So they're content with their 1st round home game. Gonna Watch SportsCenter tonight to see who they might play. Same with the next 4. Win and you're in. Odds of enough teams losing to seriously improve your position, are slim. So we're left with the fan bases of only 3 teams hoping someone stumbles. VS the 7 teams we had just this past weekend.

2. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

The BCS works great (from the perspective of most fans) when, and only when, there are exactly two teams that clearly rise above the others. Otherwise, the BCS is basically relegated to trying to fit the proverbial square peg into a round hole.

3. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Remember this, the journey is the fun part. If you put in a playoff system, you get the NFL. Yeah it's football, but nowhere near as exciting.

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Yeah, but that year, Auburn took the cupcake schedulig to the extreme.:hihi:

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I do......during the playoffs.

At least the NFL ones are televised.

Nootch, the only games that mean anything in the BCS are: 1/ The ones with the team in the run for the NC title, BCS bowls, and some of the upper tier bowls.......that, incidently, too often get skewed because of the BCS pairings. 2/ The irrelevant games, here and there, that affect the teams in #1 stated above. And #2 only applies to the teams affected. You think anyone outside of the Hawaii game and the teams affected by appearance/lack thereof a National Championship Game/BCS bowl really cared about that game in '03, much less stayed up.

When LSU is enjoying the success we have, as of the past few years and the next few to come- sure, it can be easy to "Like" it but if we were a #28 ranked team, it wouldn't mean much. We wouldn't be interested, for the most part, in insignificant games that affected whether - let's just say, for example- Wisconsin met Illinois or Washington in the NC game. Well, let me speak for myself but I'd have to think most here would agree.

6. LSUTiga

:rofl:

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Because the regular season is pointless thanks to the playoff system. Thank you for proving my point.

So are Notre Dame games.

That Hawaii game was only one example. One that affected us that year. But every year, it is different games that are big for different teams. And they happen every weekend. That's not the case in leagues with playoffs.

And the #28 team still wouldn't give a chit if there was a playoff system.

8. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

<Corso>Not so fast, my friend!</Corso>

We know that Hawaii game was important to the top 3 teams that year, because it was only important to the top 3 teams (other than the teams playing in the game, of course). But with 12 teams in the playoffs, with many teams potentially closely bunched up in the ratings near the three threshold levels (4/5, 8/9, and 12/13 are the threshold spots I'm talking about), then there could be a LOT of these types of games towards the end of the season. That game in Hawaii could have had just as much of an impact on teams #8 and #9, in other words.
    I disagree completely - if LSU had a bye week, and there are 4 playoff games to be played, I would most definitely watch, especially the game that would produce LSU's opponent the next week. But I'd also watch as many of the others as I could because (a) I like watching college football, and I suspect we'd have some pretty good teams playing, and (b) even if LSU isn't playing the winners of those other games the next week, they may play them the week after next).
    I'm not so sure - things change very quickly. Two weeks ago, Arizona State was #4. They lose, and fall to #9 last week. That was good news for a few teams. Then they slide up to #6 this week, with 3 Big 12 teams ahead of them that will possibly knock each other out of the way to allow Arizona State back into the top 4.

1 person likes this.
  9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

So you'd watch a playoff game. Kinda sounds like most College fans view of the NFL. "I'll watch when th eplayoffs start"

They dropped that far, but only one team moved up (into the top 4), which is exactly what they expected would happen, and the reason they didn't watch.

10. LSUTiga

You sure wouldn't have admitted that at the time. :lol:

That was a joke FOOL. I actually thought I'd put a smiley on it. :wave:

Apples and Oranges.....or with Weis, maybe chicken and dumplings- oh, nevamind, those does go together. :grin:

Name others with "Insignificant" teams AND, those games are "Big" for us but certainly not for them. You said it makes all college games important, fun to watch- unless I misunderstood.

But you said with the BCS, "All games are worthy of watching". No more “The same dull monotonous routine that is every other sport in America”? “No irrelevant games”, not only the “Sexy match up of the weekend”; “No dog in the fight”.

The truth is, there are still MANY irrelevant college football games EVERY Saturday......at least in terms of the BCS. I'll just wait till next year and maybe you'll flip flop again....remember when I said how you do that?? :hihi: