Hot spots when you were at LSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bolobolo, Dec 5, 2003.

1. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I dated a girl back in the day that used to make me take her to the Art Bar. Real old building. But like you said, fruity bar. Now that I think about it, the girl was something of a flake, too. :dis:

I'm on the wall at The Chimes, too. I did it in two months (there
    were some football Saturdays in there during that time).:D :D :D

2. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

I remember it....went there ONCE with a friend of mine. It was a different kind of 'mellow' crowd.;)

3. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

I was there from 88-92 as well. I didn't get out much (the whole Engineering thing combined with a serious lack of cash), but I mostly just shot pool out with "the dark people" at the Library or the Bayou. I was never part of the whole Murphy's/Tiger/Fred's frat scene. Mostly lack of cash.

4. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

You are right, The Tiger was on the left in Tiger Town(across from Sports & Fred's).

I practically lived at the Bengal , my last year of high school and my early LSU years. I hate to hear they tore it down...

5. bolobolo

bolobolo Founding Member

I remember the Art Bar. I went there once with a girl and some of her friends. We ended up leaving in her car after which I ended up rear ending someone on Highland. Proceeded to get wasted somewhere (Murphys or the Dugout). Anyway I woke up in her bed at her apartment very hungover the next day. Needless to say I missed class. She Was fruity though!

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

You kidding? Those two things are fully qualified to stand on their own. I wish I could have been there to see them together! :D

7. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

Hey, the 80's weren't too shabby either!!:D

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Magoos, Dirty Pierres, and the original Library (which was on the corner of Chimes and Highland until the great Tigertown fire of '73, after which it moved down Chimes St.).

There were plenty of great billard tables and pin-ball machines on Chimes street in those days. Made a lot of drinking money playing nine-ball. I wish I could still play like that.

Happy hour at the Brass Rail was a classic experience. It was where the hippie chicks hung out.

Rocky Dijohn likes this.
  9. DoubleCutter

DoubleCutter Founding Member

I was at LSU in the mid 70's. 18 year old drinking age, but I was a 17 year old freshman, so still needed a fake ID at some of the places. We went to the White Horse, Faps, Brass Rail. A couple of times a semester a bunch of us would go across the river and go to Chuck's in Addis. A few times when the BR bars closed at 2AM, we would go across the river to Port Allen and go to Sans Soussi which didn't close at 2AM. But every time we went there somebody in our group would always get in a fight.

Great bands did play at the PMAC-- Led Zeppelin, Cat Stevens, Gino Vanelli. The Moody Blues.

I've got to go, I'm starting to get a hangover just thinking about it.

Rocky Dijohn likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I hung at all those places. I wasn't a frat boy but I didn't discriminate between sorority chicks and hippie chicks. Southdowns on Perkins Road was pretty hot back then too. Chiefs on Highland Road regularly had people like Stevie Ray Vaughn and the Fabulous Thunderbirds before they hit the big time. The Speakeasy and Cahoots had some pretty good music a lot of time too. I saw ZZ Top for a 50 cent cover charge at the Speakeasy. For after hours partying West Baton Rouge Parish bars stayed open all night. There was the Sans Souci, the Carousel and the Riviera. The Country Place in Iberville Parish just past the EBR parish line on Highway 30 was open all night too. One night Jimmy Buffet showed up there after his concert in Baton Rouge and played all night with the house band.

Rocky Dijohn likes this.