Homemade Kahlua

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Bengal B, May 2, 2004.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Homemade Kahlua

Ingredients:

Mixing instructions:

Dissolve sugar in 2 cups of boiling water and add corn syrup. Dissolve the instant coffee in the remaining water. Pour syrup and coffee in a gallon jug. Let it cool. Add vodka and vanilla when cold. For the best result, let the mixture "mature" for 4-5 weeks.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I got this recipe from a woman who drank like a fish and she was constantly making kahlua.....so I figure it must be pretty good. The receipe calls for 5 tablespoons camp coffee, 5 tablespoons vanilla, 4 cups brown sugar, and 2 cups boiling water. Mix and bring to a boil. Cool mixture. Add 26 oz o alcohol. Hope this helps.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Homemade Kahlua® (our personal favorite) Recipe

• 6 cups sugar
    • 6 cups water
    • 20 tsp instant coffee
    • 1/2 gallon vodka
    • 12 tsp pure vanilla
    Mix sugar, water, coffee together and bring to slow boil. Turn heat down and simmer 1 hour. Remove heat, cover liquid with plastic wrap. Let sit for 12 hours, then remove wrap (it will pick up film from the top). Add vodka and vanilla, stir well. Bottle in dark bottles.

Notes:, Yield 3 quarts. Drinkable immediately. We usually make a half-batch because it's so darn big.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Homemade Kahlua

author unknown

This recipe is so close in taste to the expensive brand name, that I can't tell the difference. Pour it into pretty bottles or jars with decorated lids and it makes an excellent and inexpensive gift. Provide recipes for its use if you like. Some people just enjoy it over ice cream, rather than as a drink. Add a bit to your coffee for a taste treat.

5 Cups of sugar
    8 Cups of water (Divided)
    1 Cup instant coffee crystals
    3 whole vanilla beans Stir together 5 cups of sugar and 6 cups of water. Boil hard for approximately 20 minutes. Pour into a one gallon glass jar. Then mix 1 cup of instant coffee into 2 cups of boiling water and add to the above. Split 3 vanilla beans and add them. Allow it to cool and then add 1.75 liters of vodka. Place cap on jar tightly and store in a dark place. Allow to mature for at least two weeks, but four weeks is better. Remove the vanilla beans and pour contents into containers of your choice.

5. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

HOMEMADE KAHLUA

You will need 2 dark glass bottles for this. Old wine bottles work well with either a cork or screw top to seal. I have also used those Grolsch beer bottles with the swing down ceramic stoppers.

2 cups instant coffee - not freeze dried
    7 cups sugar
    1 qt boiling water
    1 qt vodka - use the cheap stuff, it really doesn't matter
    2 vanilla beans split lengthwise

In a 4 qt pot mix sugar and coffee together and pour 1 qt boiling water over it. Stir till completely dissolved and let cool to room temp. This will take a couple of hours.

divide the quart of vodka between 2 dark bottles and drop in one of the vanilla beans that has been split down the middle. Finish filling the bottle with the coffee sugar mixture and seal top. Put bottles in a cool dark spot for at least 4 weeks.

I found a bottle that I had forgot about that was over a year old and it was unbelievably good. I guess the longer you let it age the better it gets. The 4 weeks is a minimum and it is still a bit raw. At about 3 months it is much smoother.