Helicopter Parenting

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUTiga, Oct 21, 2018.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Apparently, there is an app like that. I read a Facebook community of Plano moms, and this question was posed recently: Do you monitor your kids' texts?

The overwhelming majority did...some even into COLLEGE. I wrote that I believe in putting trust in my daughters and until which time they violate my trust, I will not violate their privacy.

Most of the moms scoffed at the idea of a child's/teenager's right to privacy. I think it's essential. Both of my daughters volunteer a lot of information about their lives and their friends. I'm not sure they would if I was all up on their phones.

Some parents said they "make" their kids text when they are in for the night in their college dorms. They bemoaned how miserable they are when their kids "forget" to text. Number one, why would I want to lose sleep waiting for a text from my college-aged child? Number two, how do you know they are truly in for the night? Oh, yeah, you have Life 360 that is a tracking device for your kid.

2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Sad commentary on today’s environment.

COTiger likes this.
  3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Totally worth it.

GiantDuckFan and Bengal B like this.
  4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Agree with all of it. I know one mom through softball who has a tracking app....on her husband's phone. Good God. What a horrible idea. If you can't trust that much, time to move on.

And on another point about parenting....this New Mexico teen dressed up as a tired mom....and nailed it, lol. Target bag has diapers and a couple bottles of wine.
    [​IMG]

GiantDuckFan, StaceyO and LSUTiga like this.
  5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

My wife wants one of those. I'm dodging

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Horrible idea. If someone has that much time, they need something else to do. There's either trust or there isn't. That kind of shit will get in your head until you make yourself crazy.

StaceyO likes this.
  7. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

You bet. I'm glad he is grown and on his on. I had some issues with him in his teen years. I don't won't to imagine what they would be like today.

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Oh she is

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If she gets one give your phone to some homeless guy. She will think you are always at some interstate exit or in jail.

10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Back when MySpace was a thing, my old Air Force buddies made a few fake profiles with pictures of very sexy women and would message me shit like, "Last night was great, but why didn't you call back" and "have you left her yet" type shit.

One day after a 16 hour shift I come home and have half the living room thrown at me. Once I connected the dots I just started laughing, but because of the rukus, I was forced to be separated from my wife for a few days "base orders'. I didn't know whether to thank my friends or punch them at the time.

However from all that, I told my wife, how could i possibly deal with two of YOU.... Since then she has never accused me of anything. Haha.

LSUTiga, GiantDuckFan and shane0911 like this.