Hamburger Patties on the Grill

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUTiga, Aug 1, 2011.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Did a search and didn't see a thread on hamburger patties. I love these.

What's your recipe?

I cut up white onions VERY fine and green onions too. I sprinkle some each time I sprinkle salt and roll the ground meat. Once I've put the amount of seaoning I want I sprinkle red pepper and salt two more times cause I've found ground meat either takes a lot or I don't put enough. For those two last times I also sprinkle/pour some Worcestershire Sauce & Country Bob's All Purpose Sauce (below). I only recently found this Country Bob's and like it a lot. Wal Marks carries it.
    [​IMG]

2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I am always cooking burgers outside, I'll try some of that sauce. Thanks for tip.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm one of those who doesn't like hamburger meat doctored up too much. I usually cook it plain. if I add anything to it it would be a shake of garlic salt and a few drops of worcestershire. Never bread crumbs, onions, or other chunky stuff. When grilling, I will sometimes paint the patties with BBQ sauce near the end just to caramelize and be tasty. Really good meat doesn't need it though.

The trick to good burgers is to use 85/15 ground chuck hamburger meat. That super-lean 95/5 ground sirloin hamburger meat is fine for meatballs and meatloaf, but you want a fatty ground beef for a good burger.

4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Ditto, except no sauce. Mine are juicy enough anyway since I use 80/20.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

80/20 is hard to find sometimes.

6. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

True, I have had to use 85/15 a few times because of this. The 5 # chubs are usually available in 80/20 though, even when smaller packs aren't.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

same as cooking a good steak. all that marinating nonsense ruins a good steak and same goes with this. minimal ingredients, just get some fresh 80/20 ground meat.

tablespoon or so of olive oil, salt and black pepper and minced garlic if you desire.

medium high heat 3-4 mins a side. I like em slightly rare.

may wanna flatten them out pretty good prior so they dont shrink up too much. then throw them on the grill and leave em alone. flip em and thats that.

toast the bread or the juice will turn it into a soggy mess.

8. LSUTiga

Yes indeed. I like mine uniform and not tic tic in the middle and small on the edges. They cook evenly too. You should get one of these, I love mine.

[​IMG]

I used to roll out my ground meat and use a cup I had for a cutter. One 4th of July we were at a camp with a bunch of couples. Everyone was told to bring their own patties. I was one of the dad's doing the bar-b-qing and opened this one pack of patties and WOW! They were so smooth and consistent without breaks around the edge.

I walked over the the ladies and asked who made/brought these. They got very quiet thinking something was wrong then one said she did and I asked how. When she told me we ordered one that week.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yeah i used to mash em as they cooked. that pretty much ruins them. and a really low heat does nothing but kill the taste.

which reminds me, we bought some filets a few weeks ago and cooked them similar to the above and they were some of the best steaks we've had. the main difference being about a 600+ degree grill.

10. LSUTiga

Same here. I thought I was doing all the good.

THE most important thing with cooking steaks. High heat and quick.

Love the avatar but what's the story on the team choices?