Football Position Changes

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Feb 24, 2010.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

These are the moves mentioned by Miles at his presser today:

Shepard to WR -- As Expected

Eugene to Safety -- Loston and Eugene to battle it out with both getting significant playing time IMO.

Duplessis to LB -- Not surprised he moved from Safety but interested to see what he is actually weighing in at.

Calhoun to CB -- I think he should have started out at CB from the get go but I understand LSU had some RB depth issues to leverage.

Clement to TE -- As expected, was a DE

Davenport stays at DT -- As Expected

Mingo to DE -- Moved to DE from LB during practices last year but still needs to bulk up.

Pep to DT -- Announced a few weeks ago and I like the move.

Brockers to DT -- Moved from DE last year and is sticking with it.

Logan to DT -- Also moved there last season.

Theriot back to FB -- Gave LB a try last year.

Barksdale to LT -- Necessary move to help protect the QB

Johns to LB -- Moved from Safety

2. StreetDiction

StreetDiction Gary Crowton Hater

Peterson to WR too. I guess he can't block. I thought he bulked up and was going to be a nice mismatch at TE. But after our weak run attack I like moving a bigger guy to TE.

We run a lot of 4 WR sets and maybe we can still use him at TE in a double TE formation.

Who knows? But i'm excited for 2011

:geaux:

3. clair

clair Rockets

Not sure I like Eugene to safety. He's been a CB for 4 years in the program. He would have finally been in a position to start and now they move him?

I understand the "do what's best for the team" approach, but does the team have a CB better than him to fill that No. 2 slot? And even if they do, can they then fill the No. 3 slot that the No. 2 guy previously held and so on?

1 person likes this.
  4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

This opens up Claiborne to take over at starting CB and I like that about it. I think he is ready.

Brooks is not a bad CB to have backup him and/or Petterson. Also here Jhyryn Taylor is coming into his own.

I don't see Deangelo Petterson playing much WR but Miles said we could motion him out to get some looks at WR.

Also left out the old news that Barksdale to LT.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

What is the 1 thing that Jai does exceptionally well? Tackle. He is one of the best tacklers we have on the defensive side of the ball. He is lacking in coverage. I think moving him to safety is a smart move, i don't like that Peterson was moved to wide receiver, that dude was one of the biggest mismatches on the field last season for us.

6. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

In the right formaion, Peterson can still be a mismatch. What I think move primarily signals more than anything is that he will no longer block.

7. tboy

tboy Founding Member

It looks like we are going to have heavier TE's next year. Maybe this ties into our having a "Want" to run the football.:hihi: Is Mitch Joseph at 6'5", 275lbs. our starter?

8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Thread title is "Position Changes." Fact that fits half the title: according to the updated roster on the LSU website, Terrence Toliver will change from #80 to #8 this season.

I feel I have contributed. Geaux Tigers.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Good Call.

“We’re going to run the football better,” he said. “There’s no mistake there. We all understand that. We’re going to run it with more attitude, and I think our football team will be better for it.”

“I don’t know when that will strike home. I don’t know how soon that characteristic will manifest itself, considering the first two practices all we are allowed to wear are helmets,” he said. “But I can tell you this, when we get pads on, it will be about rushing the football.”

“We’re going to have five guys that are coming-off-the-football, physical guys,” Miles said. “We’re going to find the best guys, and we’re going to play them. For us to advance as a football team, we have to continue to be physical. We've kind of re-thought things. We'll change up some drills. We'll review competition and physical play and have more one-on-one drills. And we've got to execute better. We don't need to be penalized. I'm not saying we're going to do a lot or a little (with the passing game), but what we're going to do is we're going to execute best.”

LSU's Les MIles has running game on his brain | shreveporttimes.com | Shreveport Times

10. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Russell could be the slot receiver we have been looking for. I am hoping the OL moves work out because I think they are very important to our success. The article I saw didn't mention Lonergan as a possible OG, but had him remaining at Center battling Hebert for the job. I really hope Williford can earn a spot by season's end, but I know he is still very young. If Hurst and Williford were our OG's we would get big in a hurry. Between T-Bob and Hitt we were small relatively speaking in those positions last year. Running behind Big Herman was our bread and butter and we missed that last year. Bring on the Big Boys!
    Who do ya'll see as our starting OL, TE included.