Errr, camp blocking? Mumme turns in LSU/Orge for... CAMP BLOCKING?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TerryP, Jun 15, 2017.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Obviously

And I think it was in line with his style in making side passes- which, as I have said, I am fine with. I'm just responding.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  2. Brian

Brian Founding Member

I guess it depends. Years back I would have given Terry the clear benefit of the doubt and not even registered his last comment regarding O wasting his energy on it. However, in recent years the snarky and arrogant Terry who snipes at LSU often enough here when opportunity presents itself makes me think it was another veiled quip. He's a guy that presents himself austere and all about logic, facts, and reason . That doesn't preclude him from taking a snide shot and he's done so with much more regularity -- seemingly as the wins mount for the Tide so too does his already pompous posturing. Tiga might be on to it here as a result.

furduknfish, didit, leroy7500 and 5 others like this.
  3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Most of what that guy posts is a shit talk of lsu. Which is fine. Roll turds roll.

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

No harm no foul. Kyle whether we agree on this one or not, I do applaud your effort to ensure our visiting posters are treated fairly. Very serious.

GiantDuckFan, lsu-i-like and KyleK like this.
  5. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

If you're going to talk shit then you better be prepared to wipe it off your face.

KyleK likes this.
  6. Big Tiger

Big Tiger They don't call me "Big" for nuttin

lol at this asshat sticking his nose where he had no business so I'll do the same. Hey Gramps, how bout I rip off your head and shit down your windpipe?

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

There's a reason I asked you that specific question. I don't feel indifferent, but I certainly am undecided on what it will actually accomplish. Earlier in this thread I mentioned the point I could see it being counter-productive. I do believe it's a waste of time.

I still haven't made up my mind on what I think about the whole ordeal. There are several thoughts I've entertained and petty is one of them. There's also the thought he's trying to shut down and close off the borders. I've thought it was a bit of a cowardly approach and thought it was in the best interest of LSU. For every thought on one side, there's a counter. Hence, undecided.

What you have to realize is I'm not to far removed from thinking the same thing about Bama's coach. On one hand I wanted Shula, and Saban to win the in-state battle's for players. But, the landscape has changed so drastically in the last decade thinking about a recruiting class in the terms of "sign him because he's from the state of Alabama" is a short-sided approach. College coaches can't think that way.

You want the entire LSU team made up of kids from Louisiana? In my opinion it's not a recipe for success because some kids are going to go out-of-state. Take this years class as one example. Justin Rogers is currently committed to TCU. Assuming that sticks, that doesn't leave another quarterback in the top 50 in the state. It's my opinion a school needs to sign at least one quarterback per class. What do you do? You have to go out-of-state.

If you're closing your borders in this fashion, but now need to go out of state to recruit another QB...can you see how it could be counterproductive?

I certainly question whether or not Orgeron is the coach that puts LSU back to where you want her to be. I'm not the only one. I'm sure you have entertained the same thought on more than one occasion. Funny, I see (and have said) the same thing about Kirby Goff (and that's a coach I'm "bashing.") He made some horrible mistakes last year.

8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

1) His comment about he's losing time on the recruiting trail was said to a golfing buddy of his. It was a joke, an anecdote just as the author suggests. The author also uses a little journalistic freedom adding "Saban grumbled." And that's being a cry-baby? Come on, now.

2) The NFL grade system.

"We're trying to get ready for a game, and all of a sudden, a guy finds out he's a first round draft pick or a guy that thought he was a first round draft pick finds out he's not a first round draft pick," said Saban. "I think that it would be better not to submit that information to a player until he was finished competing in college. We've moved the draft back. We have not moved the date that a player has to declare back."
    Are you saying that's not true? Here we are in the midst of players choosing not to play in their bowl games because of how they are graded out by the NFL. We've had this discussion, here, about what impact that will make on football. But, this is being a "cry baby?"

Come on, now.

3) Ole Miss pop pass: It is against the rules of college football to have an ineligible receiver downfield. It's become common place for these plays to be allowed to stand; the penalities are not being called. Yet, he's being a "cry baby" due to coaches breaking that rule with their play-calling?
    1.png

And how many references have we seen, here, about holding when Jalen ran the touchdown against LSU this past season? Did Orgeron complain to the SEC offices on what he saw? Was he being a cry-baby?

While holding is a judgment call, having an offensive lineman farther than three yards down the field isn't.

We have a joke, an observation about when NFL grades are released and a question about whether or not it impacts how a player performs, and a complaint about an obvious penalty.

I strongly believe you are more focused on the messenger than the message in all three cases.

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I have to call bullshit here, Brian. Even when Shula was coaching at Bama I was snarky and arrogant according to members here.
    I don't take shots at coaches, but do question decisions. That's not limited to the head coach of LSU. I don't take shots at players (even if they chose to leave the state of Alabama and go to another school. Bet that makes you think a minute.) You guys have spent the last several years bashing Miles unmercifully and you won't find a single instance where I've joined that fray.

Now, if someone here posts something I think is just asinine I call it what it is, asinine. There's been a lot of crap thrown out over the last 10+ years here and when I've seen it, I've called it out. It's a discussion board, for god's sake. I'll readily admit I've made some snide remarks to members here...to members I've discussed football with for years.

What's good for the goose ...

kcal and lsu-i-like like this.
  10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Wasted energy.

During SEC meetings a few weeks ago Orge mention that while he was head coach at Ole Miss he recalled watching Miles and thinking about his job and what it would be like to be head coach at LSU. My first thought when I heard the remark (perhaps read it, I can't recall if it was during the teleconference portions or not) was "where's his focus?" It certainly didn't appear to be on his job by his story.

Now, with this story about blocking camps, I'm wondering "where's his focus?" It appears to be on Texas and other schools coming in the state for these camps. As a fan, is that where you guys want his attention to be focused? If I were experiencing the same thing on this side of the fence I'd be skeptical; and disappointed. But that's me.

I still look at stories like the one with Harbaugh and his camps all over the nation as a publicity stunt. The idea of a coach going all over the country to hold a camp seems like a waste of time and energy. Time and energy that most certainly could be better spent elsewhere. The idea of a booster spending close to million dollars to send kids overseas for a football camp seems like a waste of money to me. But, it's not my money.

I'm of the opinion a coach should be concentrating on the camps they are hosting, not what other coaches are doing. If a coach is spending his time trying to keep other coaches from doing what they feel they should...that seems fruitless to me. Yes, a waste of time and energy.

We all make observations about what we see other coaching staff's do over the off-season. This is one of those instances both with Orge, but more specifically with Mumme. I can relate, to a degree, with both. But, I'm beginning to come to the conclusion both are being counterproductive to what they should be trying to accomplish.

Let me close with this question.

It's been said, by the vast majority, there's one team in the SEC with talent that is on par with Alabama. LSU. The road to Atlanta runs through Tuscaloosa right now--everyone will agree to that point. IF we agree that the talent is on the same level it's not about camps, is it? It's about what's going on at the Charles McClendon practice facility in LSU's case. These reports have focus on Bellhaven, among others, instead.

Isn't this a question that needs asking? Isn't this a case of time and energy being focused on things that are outside of the program? Isn't it a fair characterization that in the end it very well could be counterproductive?