Dunkirk

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by uscvball, Aug 2, 2017.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Spoilers:

He was good, the end scene too when he scuttles the spitfire, and is just watching it burn. Makes you wonder if he ever gets out of captivity or is killed as a prisoner.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I don't know if it's based on actual stories or not but there was in fact a Spitfire shot down over the beach by a German Dornier. It was found buried under the sand after 40 years. After the crash, the pilot, Peter Cazenove, walked into Calais. Still in his damp flying suit, he found a British regiment and joined it in an unsuccessful attempt to fight off the Germans. When the town fell, he was captured and sent to a succession of POW camps, including Stalag Luft III, the notorious camp for Allied airmen, where he helped organize what became known as the Great Escape.
    [​IMG]

3. LaSalleAve

Damn, great info. Thank you, you're a history buff do you listen to any history podcasts? If not you should check out Dan Carlin's hardcore history. I know this is ww2 but he does about 16 hours on ww1 that is really fascinating and he uses sources from all sides. It's called blueprint for Armageddon, 4 part series. It's fascinating.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I love history, particularly world war type stuff. The other day, History Channel had WWII in Color on all day and I watched/recorded all of it. I don't currently listen to podcasts of any kind but I'll give that one a shot.

Sort of why I love movies like Dunkirk or Tora Tora Tora and despise something like Pearl Harbor.

5. LaSalleAve

Dan Carlin is the best. He also does a 4 part series on the Khan's, a 3 part series on the Acheminid Persian Empire which included everything from Babylon, Scytihains, Umman Monda, and the Meades through the Greek battles and ends on Alexander the Great. He does a few shows on WW2 but Blueprint for Armageddon (which is currently free if you download the podcast app and go through the Hardcore History feed) is chocked full of so much information it's fantastic. From the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, to trench warfare to the Russian revolution, he talks about Mons and the British having their "Dunkirk moment" there, i would recommend this for anyone. Especially if you like to run or work out or in the car driving in LA traffic. It's great stuff.