Dinner for 2

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by dltigers3, Mar 2, 2010.

1. dltigers3

dltigers3 Veteran Member

Anybody know any good recipes for two? It seems the only thing me and my wife can cook without a ton of leftovers (which eventually get tossed) are grilled items i.e. steaks chicken. This seems to be one of the more difficult parts of being married... haha

If anybody has any recipes they think they could scale down that would help too, because I can only cook gumbo and jambalaya for at least 10 ppl.

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

3. dltigers3

dltigers3 Veteran Member

That got me pretty quick... haha, but it is too hard to find stuff that actually works, and is fairly convenient. That's why I was looking for stuff other people have tried and it turned out alright.

4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

It's been so long that i cooked that amount i couldn't be of much help. when i first got married, i hated leftovers. 20 yrs and 2 kids later, i love leftovers. you'll come around.

5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

No kids????

whipped cream....chocolate syrup....strawberries...champagne :grin:

Seriously though, if you like to cook, you might want to make some sauces that you can keep as leftovers and use with things like fresh pasta, seafood, or cuts of meat like chicken.

You don't have to make the sauces only for two and most can be reheated in the microwave fairly easily. In restaurants, it's done all the time. Pasta, for example, is usually heated up to order in a saute pan with the sauce.

You should be able to cook a cream sauce (like Alfredo) a tomato sauce and a beef sauce or gravy on the weekends using the bases that you can buy at the stores (especially chicken and beef bases).
    Hollandaise sauce is east for me to make from scratch, but there's nothing wrong with using those sauces from the tin foil envelopes. 1 cup of water and a minute in the microwave...it's great for vegetables and then you can add creole mustard to the leftovers and use it for a seafood sauce. you can doctor up mayonnaise with lemon juice, exotic mustard, garlic powder etc.

Any leftover sauces from the week can easily be turned into soups with other leftovers.

Get a panini press and some artisan breads from the store for your leftovers. There's a million ways to turn leftovers into new entrees. I tell my customers to take their omelette lefovers home and use them as fillings for a fresh, home made omelette.

There's got to be cookbooks for two out there that give you good ideas. feel free to pm me if you have specific questions about sauces.

6. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Before I embarrass myself by rattling off all the boxed food dishes my wife and I used to prepare, I probably should find out what level of food you're looking for. Quick and Easy? Lots of Prep? Fancy Shmancy?

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Stuffed bell peppers. You can make as many or as few as you need and freeze excess stuffing for the next batch.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Cube a top sirloin. Saute with onions and bell peppers and teriyaki sauce. My wife loves it.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I do this with shrimp and chicken, too.

1 person likes this.
  10. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

[​IMG]

&

[​IMG]

Try not to eat the entire box alone.

1 person likes this.