David Stern MUST reverse the decision to block the Hornets trade

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Dec 9, 2011.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

If Paul is forced to play for the Hornets and they get nothing in return for him as he leaves for free agency in 2012, then the Hornets as an organization is done.

The Hornets could field a VERY competitive team with the players they are getting:

Kevin Martin 23.5 ppg
    Louis Scola 18.3 ppg 8.2 rpg
    Lamar Odom 14.4 ppg 8.7 rpg
    Goran Dragic 7.5 ppg 2.9 apg (as a backup)
    1st Round Draft Pick from Houston (that could be a top 10-12 pick since Houston won't be that good losing all those players)

You could argue the Hornets are going to be better off with this team vs the team they would have had with Paul.

I suspect the decision to reverse the block will come down by the end of the day or sometime tomorrow.

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I posted this in the other thread but this decision could very well be the one thing people look back on as the ultimate end of the NBA in New Orleans.

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I didn't think much of this trade when I first saw it, but having learned a little about the players we'd get from the Rockets, its looking better to me. Its not perfect, but its probably as good as they can expect. The block is absolutely ridiculous. In supposedly arguing for the small market teams, Gilbert threw one of them under the bus. I suspect that since Gilbert lost LeBron for nothing, he's going to now throw roadblocks in front of any other team that can get something in return when their superstar moves on.

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I don't get this, they sure didn't try and block the Miami Heat trade or stop free agency when Lebron James and that other guy joined with D Wade. Forgive me for not knowing the details, I don't keep up with the NBA like I use too.

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

The NBA currently owns the hornets because Shinn had to sell and there were no buyers. They are blocking the trade because of a few outspoken owners. Some misguided, like Gilbert, and others looking out for themselves and their rivalries, like Cuban. It's a disaster. Not sure why I care as I haven't watched a non playoff nba game in years, but it does affect the hornets.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

David Stern is nothing more than a Pimp that doesn't wear a purple suit or feathers.

7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Why is David Stern regarded as the best league executive in sports? The NBA has gone to chit under his watch.

8. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I agree with pretty much everything in the original post and think the pressure to reverse the block will end up having it go through very soon.

Kevin Martin and Luis Scola have been labeled as weak defensively but they are still solid players, nearly All-Star level. Martin puts up points in bunches and makes it look effortless. All of these players the Hornets would get are a bit unorthodox (including two lefties) and could be tough for other teams to match up against.

9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I don't like David Stern and not even sure why I'm about to defend him. But, the NBA has become widely popular internationally. This has led to franchises becoming more valuable. The past few years have had successful playoff interest from fans including Lakers/Celtics finals and last year's thrilling Heat/Mavs.

I would even argue (although few would agree) that the NBA is on path to become the most popular professional league in the world within the next decade or two. Every year, there are more and more players from every corner of the globe that bring fan interest from their home countries.

10. Fang

Fang Veteran Member

The Lakers would get screwed in this deal unless they are able to also trade for D Howard. I hope it goes threw so someone can stop Miami. Dallas is done with TC going to NY.