Dale Brown

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Jul 23, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

2. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Definantly on my watch list when it comes out. The guy was an inspiration during my younger years.

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Dale Brown is the epitome of what every LSU fan should be like.

I really want to meet him in person one day...it'd be a real thrill of a lifetime.

4. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

I met him at an LSU track meet a week after he became coach, not long after the new Bernie Moore track stadium opened.

Mind you I was a huge Pistol fan, and I always liked Press too, and no one knew what to expect from this new coach.

Nobody else at the track meet even recognized him, but some friends and I knew who he was, and went over and introduced ourselves.

He was interesting and charismatic, and we chatted about LSU hoops and the future with him as our coach.

I was 15 years old at the time and left that conversation highly impressed with Coach Brown.

Little did we know then the legacy he would leave us with. :thumb: :geauxtige

5. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

I was fortunate enough when I was at :lsup: in the 80s to cross paths with Coach Brown a few times on campus. In fact, one semester I passed him several times walking past the PMAC from the Track Stadium parking lot on my way to class.

Some years later, when I was coaching middle school basketball, I had a player who had a very similar knee injury as Randy Livingston had the year before. Out of the blue, I called Coach Brown's office and asked if there was any way Randy could talk to this kid about the injury, rehab and coming back. Coach Brown sent us a couple of tickets and brought us into the dressing room after the game to visit with him and Randy.

Both guys took time out to talk with this kid and couldn't have been nicer and more welcoming.

I know Coach Brown got the reputation (perhaps deserved) for not being able to win the National Championship and for not being able to coach up teams that had exceptional talent. But, IMHO, he is a world-class motivator and an exceptional person.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

I remember Dale Brown participating in "debate" forums while I was a student. I watched one on the death penalty, where he was on the opposition panel, and another that must've had something to do with religion, because the famous athiest, M. M. O'Hair, was on the other side.

He seemed like a class act at that time and a very nice fella.