News Cancel UGA-Alabama Game, Urges Oil Executive

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by netmeetme, Sep 26, 2008.

1. netmeetme

netmeetme Freshman

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/17562978/detail.html

Check out the Sound off to see what the people of Athens or saying.

ATLANTA --
    The gas shortage suddenly got serious; college football in the Deep South serious.A petroleum executive suggested Thursday that Gov. Sonny Perdue should cancel Saturday's football game between Georgia and Alabama.SOUND OFF: Should Gov. Perdue Cancel The UGA-Alabama Game?
    Tex Pitfield, president and CEO of Saraguay Petroleum in Atlanta, said in a radio interview there might not be enough gas in the Athens area for all of the football fans driving to the game."That gas needs to be used for people to go to work, and for people to take care of their families," Pitfield told WGAU in Athens.The governor's office quickly rejected the idea."The governor is not going to consider a ridiculous idea like this,” Perdue spokesman Bert Brantley said late Thursday. “We’re also not going to stop living our lives. People understand there are common-sense things they can do.”Pitfield also criticized Gov. Perdue for flying to Europe on Saturday on a business trip."I’m amazed that the governor of Georgia, who for all intents and purposes, is the president and CEO of a multi-billion-dollar corporation — and the corporation is on its knees. It’s been given the death blow," said Pitfield. "And here he is, he’s jetting off to Europe on Saturday with complete abandon." :tigereye::lsup:

2. jimbeaux

jimbeaux "Have a Great Day"

People will be going to work (at the game) and people will be taking care of their families (enjoying a classic SEC matchup)

This guy is an idiot.

3. roygu

roygu Founding Member

There are better ways to conserve fuel than stopping working people from enjoying a weekend.

4. G-LSU

G-LSU Founding Member

Was the statement made before or after USC lost.....may be afraid of an upset?????:huh:

:geauxtige:geauxtige

5. netmeetme

netmeetme Freshman

The executive had the interview with the radio station this morning. We are in the mist of a gas shortage here due to our gas coming from a Houston pipeline to here in Atlanta. There are few stations open at any given time. Traffic here in Atlanta has been the best in years. This would affect those traveling to the game from a distance mostly Alabama fans.

6. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

carpool

7. G-LSU

G-LSU Founding Member

How much is a gallon of Regular Unleaded going for in ATL?

8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I don't understand why the ATL cant get in petro. This has been going on for about a week now. Why can't the just send in some tankers to area gas stations. Why is this only affecting ATL?

9. jivy26

jivy26 Freshman

Delaying a game like this due to a gas shortage would do what for Georgia? The amount of revenue the College will bring in as well as the city when all of those Bama fans roll in always helps out. Stopping things that normally go on and people enjoy doing because they should be using the gas to commute from work to home and vice versa is rediculous.

On another note, as much as I hate to say it I think Alabama has a really good chance at beating Georgia. This is going to be about who can establish the running game and who's defense can stop the big plays. Statistically Georgia is the favor, but this will be a great game to watch!

10. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I think a lot of people are drinking the Alabama kool-aid right now. Tomorrow will be interesting, to say the least. I'll reserve my judgment of Bama until after tomorrow night's game.