Brisket -- HELP

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by NoLimitMD, Nov 20, 2007.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Holy mother of pearl. That brisket turned out better than any I've had, just barely edging out a place in Luling, TX. Thanks so much for all of the tips...here's what I ended up doing, kind of a mix of all suggestions.

1. Coated brisket in vinegar while letting it get to room temperature.

2. Coated brisket in BBQ rub.

3. Dumped moist mesquite on hot coals, and seared the meat on direct heat for 20 minutes per side.

4. Moved meat to indirect and cooked for about an hour (the coals retained their heat very well, much to my surprise.)

5. Dumped a can of beef broth, some worcestshire, vinegar, and garlic powder in aluminum pan.

6. Put brisket in pan and double wrapped in heavy duty foil

7. Pan in the oven at 275 for just under 7 hours.

8. Removed pan, let it sit for a half hour.

9. Nervously opened it and almost passed out, it was so good.

10. Mrs. NLMD declares it's the best brisket she's had.

11. Ate about a pound of it, and finally - reluctantly - agreed.

Thanks again guys.

I've gotta get one of those hinged grates for the Weber. I never think about it 'til it's too late.

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Yeah, but how many beers did you drink?

3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Glad to hear all is well and you didnt puke! Enjoy the rest of your weekend. :thumb:

4. NoLimitMD

Just couldn't do it...started at 8:00 am, and chose coffee. :hihi: I wish I had put down some, since we painted the house all day (while watching the terrible games, of course.)

5. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Questions

Foreword---City Market?

1. White, Apple Cider, Filter or Unfiltered?

2. Home Recipe or Purchased Rub? Recipe or Brand? I have never made a good oven Brisket, I will give this a shot.

6. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

If you and the Mrs. enjoy smoked meats, think about getting a Weber Smoker or something similar. You want be disappointed.

Weber Smoker

[​IMG]

7. NoLimitMD

Yep, City Market.

1. White vinegar on brisket, red wine vinegar in pan (clearing out fridge, plus I accidentally drank the red win the night before that I was planning to use.)

2. Purchased rub...it was one of the "local" types at HEB. I think just about any of 'em would do, as it's seared into the meat so thoroughly.

That's on my list o' things to get at some point soon. I haven't had a smoker, though I grew up with my Dad making it from time to time.

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Cant go wrong here, though more expensive.

View attachment 10207

9. NoLimitMD

No doubt about it. I had a neighbor that bought one, and I was envious right from the start. :hihi:

I've heard nothing but great things about the Green Egg for a while, and am contemplating getting one sometime.

Brisket update: A few days later, and it's still unbelievably good. Just slowly heating up slices in my old Magnalite skillet with the natural gravy, and it's almost as good as Day 1.

10. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I'm going to cook a brisket for Friday night. Do you think if I did the grilling the night before, put it back in the fridge, and then tossed into the oven before I went to work it would come out right?