Best Po-boy!!!

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by BigWee_TEAMKATT, Dec 14, 2006.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

One of my favorites is the roast beef Poboy from Cake Palace. I just found out recently that they served food. I highly recommend it and it is cheap. I have also tried the chicken fried steak and salisbury steak and loved both.

2. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Have you tried Ragin Cajun on Richmond, inside the loop? It's not New Orleans, but it is a reasonable facsimile.

Also, try Jimmie Wilson's on Westheimer, used to be Denis's Seafood. Same guy bought it back and he had to change the name. Good food in there, but I haven't tried a po-boy, cause I always eat grilled fish in there. The owner, Denis Wilson is from Lafayette, he is friends with a guy I went to high school with. Like I said, I always get the grilled fish and top it with a Pontchatrain sauce or Denis's topping. He has good oysters Bienville or Rockafeller.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I had a good poboy in Houston about a year ago, but I can't remember the name of the place. It was just off I-610 near Westheimer, maybe on San Felipe? It wasn't real New Orleans french bread, but was french bread!

4. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Could have been the ragin cajun, I-610 is called the loop, and Richmond is very near Westhiemer. Did it have a bunch of LSU and ULL stuff, the old stuff, like some old yearbooks?

5. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

There are 4-5 places here in Dallas that are supposedly run by people from LA and serve authentic LA poboys, jambalaya, gumbo, etc. I've tried them all and none comes close. If I'm outside of the state I cook my Louisiana dishes at home.

6. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Funny you mention that...my wife and I were at dinner at one of my favorite places in Houston tonight (Jax Grill) and I was debating between macho nachos and red beans/rice/andouille/cornbread. I almost said red beans, and then decided that I'll just make 'em myself this weekend. No sense in getting worked up tonight about how I paid $7 for stuff I make better anyway. And the macho nachos were delicious.

7. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

How could they not be.

8. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

That is so very true. They gave their best effort at making them non-delicious by putting a huge glob of sour cream on them. Luckily, it was easy to take off without having to return them, which would have delayed my eating by at least 6 minutes.

9. jrab

jrab Founding Member

Best Po-boy in New Orleans lives at Jack Dempsey's on Poland Ave. right near the Navy base in the 9th Ward. It's actually in a pretty safe area....and it doesn't suck!

So far, in BR the only sandwich shop I put on par with NO is Pastime Restaurant (under the bridge on South Blvd) Pretty damn good Roast Beef!

10. Kkille1LSU

Kkille1LSU Founding Member

New Orleans/ Metarie = Crabby Jack's

- Duck poboy
    - Rabbit poboy