Auburn's problems only get worse

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by jjfl, Sep 17, 2003.

1. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

The SEC needs to clean up its act. Can anyone think of any schools in the SEC (beside Vandy) that hasn't been under investigation for something in the last few years? All of this stuff was OK under Roy Kramer but hopefully the new commissioner can keep the SEC from going the way of the SWC.

2. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Where did all the teams of the SWC go, fellas?

That's right, the Big XII...

Don't think that "De Ohio State University" is the only one that let its "playaz" drive Columbus, Ohio, in Escalades and walk out of mid-terms...

It's RIDICULOUS that they haven't been investigated yet, or that there's not more of a problem that he was "loaned" this automobile by a local car dealer...It's RIDICULOUS...

3. chuck

chuck Founding Member

Just so you know, there will be two more articles coming from teh Opelika - Auburn news . .its a four part series.

This is such a "sour grapes Terry Bowden story" that is laughable.

Auburn was investigated in the early 90's for NCAA violations, that's not news, we were busted for certain things, that's not news - but now CTB comes out - after he is gone - after he has signed sworn papers saying he was aware of NO cheating each year and says - oh, by the way, they were cheating before I got here?!??! Huh?!@@?!

This came out when we were investigated, the NCAA looked into it, and found nothing. This book that Flynnt came out with has been public news for over 2 years, the NCAA has known about it, nothing came of it.

So now, Paul Davis, an Alabama grad who rights for the Opelika Paper decides to make it big news - tie the Bowden name to it to make it national and everyone prints it. Great . .its a black eye for Auburn, but I'm not concerned about penalties. Think the TIMING of this is a bit odd? Don't, it was planned by Paul Davis and his cronies . .

Notice there are no NAMES in these articles? What members were guilty of giving money? Help me out here ECTB .. .

Terry - it doesn't surprise me you weighed in on this - I'm fairly confident your prediciton on this matter will be as accurate as your declarations about bama not goign on probation, bama winning its appeal, and Coach Fran not leaving bama for TAMU.

4. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Chuck, you can't possibly be denying that something wasn't going on? I mean, I am not going to sit here and say that the Auburn "did this" or "did that" because I really don't know the story that well, but after ready the article it just seems like something must have happened.

5. Dixie Darlin

Dixie Darlin Founding Member

Ya know I really hate Allbarn, really I do, but I have to say that the NCAA loves to put their dog in every fight. If it happened 10 years ago let it go. Some of this stuff is gettin down right idiotic.
    I am a bama fan so naturally in any other circumstance I would throw Allbarn under the bus. You have to be logical though and admit that something that happened 10 years ago is best left to 10 years ago. I mean really, how much power are we gonna give the NCAA. We got nailed and justifiably (can't spell and never could) so, but I don't won't the whole SEC nation to pulled under by rumors. It might be true........everybody has done it and most just won't admit it.......but even if it is, let it be. Our conference has taken enough!!!!! We are the best conference in the nation (you will not convince me otherwise so don't even try). All this needs to stop. We got caught and we're taking our medicine. Now, do we listen to every single inuendo that someone throws out, or do we regroup, pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, and continue to be the toughest, roughest, and most talented football conference in the nation!!!!!!! The NCAA eats Donkey Poo!
    Okay, lay it on me.....I can take it!

6. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I can't help but to think of Junior High when people go off on those "everyone has or does do it." It's like when you used to get in trouble and your only response was "well, everyone is doing it, why do I get in trouble for it?" I'm afraid that it is just the way the NCAA and life in general works. Some get caught, some don't. Sucks for the people who get caught. But it's just the way it works. I can guarentee you there are a lot of clean programs out there. But the arguement that "everyone does it" is just getting old...

7. Dixie Darlin

Dixie Darlin Founding Member

Dallas,

I am not saying that everyone does it. I have no idea if they do or not. I'm just saying that there are alot that do in fact do it.
    But, they are not just in the SEC. The media (where I live) are making it out to be that it is just the SEC. That is not true! The SEC is not the only conference in the nation that has been caught.
    There are others (trust me, there are) that have the same problems. I wasn't pointing a finger at LSU. I don't have the authority or the knowledge to do that. I was just trying to say (and I probably didn't say it well enough) that I'm kinda tired of the SEC taking the blount of everything. I'm not making excuses for Bama. I think I said that we got hit and justifiably so. I need to just quit, because I don't think I'm getting across what I was trying to say......... Sorry I didn't mean for anyone to take it wrong.

8. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

You're right, it seems that the NCAA will only start making infractions public once a program either shows signs of breaking through and becoming a force in college football (insert 'Bama here) or after having won a championship (OSU).

Granted, the OSU thing is going on now, and I'm happy that it's being delt with now. But this new stuff with Auburn is bogus--and I don't even like Auburn! But, bottom line is that it's not fair to the players and coaches that are there now, to possibly be penalized for something that happened 10 years ago.

I mean, gee whiz! 10 years ago, every single one of these Auburn players were in Jr. High!

9. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

It is totally unbelievable that Bowden would say players were being paid into a recorder. Off the record, the only way to stay off the record is not say it. Bowden new this would come back at some point. It sucks.

10. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

If true since this is so long ago the NCAA should only ban the boosters involved from being involved in the program and not hurt present players and coaches by putting program on probation.