Attorney required by NCAA to charge players for services

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Aug 24, 2011.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Just thought this was interesting.

LSU Players Must Pay For Defense Attorney, How Much Is Not Clear - WWL - AM870 | FM105.3 | News | Talk | Sports

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Charge them a buck each. NCAA can't tell him what to charge and as most of us know, myself included, lawyers charge you whatever fee the two of you agree to.

I'm not a lawyer, but I imagine that he doesn't have to disclose his rates for any other client in comparison.

3. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Then run an ad on Groupon for $1 off legal services for defense of any crime committed on the date/time of the fight!!!:lsup:

4. msully

msully Founding Member

LOL Would you ??

Charge them a buck?? Their mom and dad's can pay

5. chewie

chewie Glitched

how do you know they can afford it? and why should they be responsible? if an attorney is willing to do this pro bono or for a single dollar, i don't see that as an improper benefit. it's not like our coaches are on the recruiting trail talking up our litigation team in case our players find themselves on the wrong side of the law. just my opinion.

miles - "we have a damn strong lawyer team that has a want to get your azz out of trouble for free in the event that you don't make quality decisions."

1 person likes this.
  6. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

I think "a buck" was what the Florida State players paid for their "discounted" shoes, creating "Free Shoes University".

Not sure "a buck" is gonna fly, regardless of lawyer/client priviledges....

7. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Given they don't have jobs, he could charge the going state rate for legal aid services.

8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

You know, that triggered a thought. From the Miranda Warning (at least the version you always here on TV cop shows):

"You have the right to an attorney. If you can not afford an attorney, an attorney will be appointed for you."

If JJ, Davenport and co. claimed they can't afford an attorney, and they received a court appointed public defender, would the NCAA consider that an improper benefit? Probably not, so why can't Fisher step up and say, they can't afford an attorney, so I volunteer to take their case.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

That was funny the first 6,000 times I heard it.

10. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

It's an improper benefit because they would only be getting free or heavily discounted legal services by virtue of them being high profile LSU football players.

A good way to determine whether or not something would be determined an improper benefit is to ask yourself, "Would I, or at the very least, another LSU non athlete student, get the same treatment?" If the answer is no, it is an improper benefit.