Alligator

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by KyleK, Jan 27, 2010.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I just gave away a couple packages of alligator meat to one of my employees. I have just never really liked it. I have tried every way I can think of to cook it and it just comes out tough and rubbery. I've stewed it, marinated in oils, acids, slow cooked, fried, sauce piquante, etc. I have tried it at restaurants thinking mabe I just can't cook. Still to no avail.

Do ya'll like it? If so, how do you cook it?​

2. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Fried. That's my favorite. I know some people that have said the same thing.

3. Pontius Pilate

Pontius Pilate Veteran Member

Same here Kyle. I have found a gator and pork sausage at Winn Dixie that is very good:thumb:

4. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

Usually fried but I've also had some great blackened alligator at Chimes.

Alligator sauce piquante is on the menu ever year during our baseball series versus Florida.

5. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

My dad gets the ribs from the young gators and fries them. Very tasty.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The only way i have ever liked it is in sausage

7. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I'm no expert on alligator meat, but I've always treated it like turtle meat...by braising it...(cooking it in liquid to tenderize it). Like all meats, the older the animal, the tougher the meat. Tail meat is tough because that muscle gets used a lot and is well developed. Rib meat, on the other hand, is more tender. I don't know if they use much arm and leg meat or backstrap meat because I've never butchered a gator. Meat from small animals is more tender like Couchon du lait.

I've eaten fried alligator meat and it's good and tender. I suppose that they either pre braise it and then fry it but maybe it comes from younger, farm raised gators.

I hope someone who knows more about the cuts can post here and let us know what the cuts are and how they're used. I'll try an online search and report back.

I found this link though.

http://www.allamericangator.com/meat/gator_meat.htm

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

favorite ways are fried and in sausage.

im trying to remember how a friend of mine from eunice fixes it. something like soaking/marinating cubed up (i think tail) meat in a blend of milk and louisiana hot sauce. then dips it in a batter with hot sauce in it and deep fries it. served with more hot sauce on the side. i watched him once and i think that was how he did it if my memory is correct. all i remember is it was very good.

9. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

10. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

Been there, done that. It's a good tour which explains how the eggs are located, hatch, are raised, which ones are released, and which ones are used for food and goods.

I believe most are used when they reach 4'. That seems to be the optimum size. They're not very old at that point. They sell sausage there.