Alabama's Nick Saban: CFB Is Not 'Sustainable' with Transfer Portal, NIL Contracts

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Hou-duco, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

BornOnTheBayou likes this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

The smug sonofabitch! I love how he acts like they aren't paying top dollar and poaching players out of the portal. I hope he does retire!

lsu-i-like and TBTrumpet like this.
  3. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

You obviously did not read the whole thing. He admitted as much in the article.

“So last year on our team, our guys probably made as much or more than anybody in the country. ...”

So not more than anybody in the country. We all know that Jimbo & A&M out paid everybody.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Yeah that was in the start of it and I made it as far as the quote I posted. Yes, he is right, many of us called it when they were just "talking" about doing it and said it would be the end of CFB as we know it. This is feigned outrage by the gnome king. If he wanted something done about it he would do something about it because he actually can. Instead he says "oh what a shame" while making it rain to any 5* that he wants.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  5. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

Well at least him and Dabo Swinney have started a conversation that reform is needed and hopefully other prominent coaches will join in. Don’t hold your breath to hear from Jimbo. He has been the biggest winner so far, and given the $$$ that A&Ms backers are willing to waste, things will get worse.

6. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

Saban and Alabama have been paying for players since he stepped foot on campus. He's states that not paying players all the same amount creates an uneven playing field, which is total horse crap. He's just upset that more schools now can legally, and out in the open, compete with him for the best players and he's not used to that. He and Dabo are both crying about NIL, but they had no problem when they were doing it underneath the table and pretty much landing anyone they wanted. Since Saban and Dabo are both pushing for all players to get paid the same to create a level playing field, I wonder if they feel the same way about coaches' salaries?

7. tigerpub

tigerpub Founding Member

Exactly. I have one thing to say to Saban about all of the above. YOU did this. So, shut the eff up, hypocrite.

8. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

can he describe the situation where college football is ruined or bad? seems fine to me. as long as college kids go to class and they want to play football, seems ok to me. so what if they make lots of money, so what if they transfer alot. i say as long as they are enrolled and going to class, they can play football for the school team and earn millions for it they want.

outside of the US college sports are not a thing. they go pro in their midteens in soccer and sometimes play in elite leagues at 17 and 18. so be it.

american football requires more physical maturity for everyone except maybe leonard fournette, so they are well served going to classes whilst training for the NFL. seems to work fine. and if they get rich in college, so what?

9. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

So do you have a problem with a player that performs academically on a fifth or sixth grade level being allowed entrance into college - while regular students have to meet the normal academic requirements - simply because they help win some football games? The problem is college football is so out of control that associating it will college is a joke! College football is a multi-billion dollar industry that only cares about winning and making money. A prime example is Dexter Manley, who could not read or write, yet he was allowed to graduate high school and go to college. I have absolutely no problem with players getting paid, but I have problem with colleges using these players for their athletic talents and then discarding them like yesterday's garbage. The percentage of players that make it to the pros is miniscule. A college's primary focus should be on academics first and foremost and athletics should fall a distant second or third down the list, but it's not!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  10. XXL TideFan

XXL TideFan Founding Member

I love Saban threads on here. I can always hear Shane’s blood pressure screaming to the upper ranges. You guys seem to forget that if he started anything anywhere, he started it at LSU first. Obviously he paid to build to build a championship team in Dearth Valley.

shane0911 likes this.