According to ESPN, Oregon would be favored over us in a head to head matchup..

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by fanatic, Nov 6, 2007.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

..by 0.5 a point at a neutral site. Oregon is a great offensive team and they could beat anyone in the SEC on any given Saturday, but their defense is average at best. Plus, our defense is used to seeing the style of offense that they play, but they're not used to seeing the speed we would bring on D, except maybe when they played USCw. Finally, everyone knows the PAC10 is a finesse league. If Oregon played an SEC week in /week out, they're a 2-3 loss team.

LINK

2. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

ESPN also thinks it's not only a good idea to employ Lou Holtz, he should give "pep talks" to teams this year. How's that for brilliance?

I like our chances against any team in the country and I relish that other fan bases think we might be overrated. I highly doubt any coaching staffs/teams feel the same way. Well maybe USC. They are the "greatest team of all time" this year right? I mean with all that talent, you would have to be an idiot to not win a NC....right? Oh wait, that only applies to LSU last year and this year. Almost forgot my place...:hihi:

2 people like this.
  3. TRUE2LSU

TRUE2LSU Founding Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I think :helmet: would easily handle Orgeon if we did not kill ourselves with foolish penalties.:geauxtige

4. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

If our team plays for any championship I like our chances. Just ask Virginia Tech what happens when we are focused and healthy on both sides of the ball.

5. TC

TC Le Big Mac

The Ducks, say Jeff Sagarin and ESPN, would be favored by 1/2 point on a neutral field. I'm not a betting man, but I'd take that 1/2 point in a second.

But I thought in Vegas oddsmaking, the line was either EVEN or 1 point. Never just 1/2 point.

So round up and give me the Tigers+1!

Also, I'd love to see what Vegas says about Ohio State vs. LSU on a neutral field. I swear, I can't wait to see the little-league Luckeyes get smoked by WHOEVER they play on January 7th!

6. 86tiger

86tiger Founding Member

Problem for them is that the BCSNC is not a nuetral field.

1 person likes this.
  7. deathvalleymike

deathvalleymike Founding Member

I dont see how this is even a debate. I was under the impression that it was widely known that the SEC was the toughest conf. in the nation, hence, every game is a great game ( which is why CBS picked up the SEC) This has gone on for far too long ( for me, ever since the USC split NC) We need to end this soon, and hopefully we will. If the Bucks lose against Michigan, we will prob see Oregon in the NCG, and beat them, ending this debate for a good, long while. Everybody knows that the best players in the nation (for the most part) come from the south. We know how to breed em really big, strong, and fast--and this is a fact. The Sec holds more NC and more bowl appearences than any other conference...so my question...whats the debate?

:milesmic: = :crystal:

1 person likes this.
  8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I dare anyone to challenge the point above.

1 person likes this.
  9. mean machine

mean machine Founding Member

Oregon is the only other team at the top of the polls that I really respect. Based on what I have seen the past month or so, they would light up our defense in a bad way.

If we continue to play with our heads up our butts, I would put my money on the Ducks. Plus, we haven't covered the spread in forever (MTSU?).

1 person likes this.
  10. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

Good lord, people, this isn't a subjective ESPN opinion.

Jeff Sagarin's rating system says Oregon would be favored by 1/2. It says the same about Kansas. Big deal

Here's the subjective element of that web page:

Also says:
    And lists four SEC teams as best x-loss teams (vs. one for the Pac 10).

2 people like this.