4* OT Patrick Miller

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by bhelmLSU, Sep 9, 2011.

1. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

correct, the early enroll limits created a logjam for LSU. But c'mon .... the LSU staff knew about Kiel's commitment since Christmas Day, and nearly the same for graduating players. In other words, LSU has known about this for awhile. As late as yesterday LSU was showing Miller as an early enrollee ... and classes begin 5 days from today. He was on the LSU sidelines for the BCSC. LSU reneged and asked Miller's father to pay the freight instead of fulfilling the scholarship commitment to provide Patrick's full ride. Mebbe they thought that the Millers (who I'm told are well-heeled) would just bite the bullet and greyshirt.

I'm told that the staff waited until the Miller's were already on campus before breaking the news to them, and that was something that didn't sit well with the father. The Millers then contacted Auburn, ... Auburn said he would be welcomed on the Plains, ... and the Miller family immediately drove to Auburn and enrolled.

either way, I'm not naive enough to believe that LSU didn't have room for a 4-star OT .... doesn't much matter, this stuff happens at every major program now that schollie limits are no longer carried-forward year over year. :thumb:

Besides, we needed him worse than y'all right now :D

2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Forgot starter Williford.

3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

This one is not the staffs fault. BTW.

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

They didn't know about if all the other 6 were going to be EEs at the time and Miller got a call from the staff a few days ago. They had multiple discussions. We said he would have a full ride if he paid his own way until the fall. We wanted him no doubt but we encouraged him to look at his other options if they couldn't budge on being an early enrollee.

5. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Because J Lee did not graduate on time.

6. Dudebro2

Dudebro2 Veteran Member

bhelmLSU - I am not trying to call you out but I just don't believe that LSU was blinded sided by this and didn't know they did not have the availability to all the EE's something just doesn't add up. LSU pays people a lot of money to make sure things like this don't happen. Again will we ever know the exact story, who knows but it is just sloppy we are supposed to do better than this. We commit to these kids we need to step up and do the right thing.

7. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Prospects are asked to greyshirt and pay their way until room is available all the time. Just last year we saw a ton of teams finally get blasted for these practices but it has been a common occurrence for years.

Remember one of our possible early enrollees is not even officially a commit to LSU. Hill meet with Miles on Tuesday or Wednesday to go over his transcripts, etc... If you have 7 prospects who want to enroll early and only 6 spots this happens. Only time it is noticed is when the prospect ends up going elsewhere which is actually pretty rare.

8. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Not true. I read an article that stated he graduated Jan. 4

9. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Lee was supposed to graduate in December, which was in 2011. Instead he graduated in January, which is 2012. Had Lee graduated in December we would have had room for Miller to be an early enrollee. Because Lee graduated in January (2012) it impacted what was available for the 2012 recruiting class early enrollees.

It's a technicality based on the calendar.

I'm not trying to throw Lee under the bus. When I was a student I had a semester where I needed extra time to finish my assignments. Academic leniency is a good thing for students as it provides them with flexibility they sometimes need.

However, LSU also plays by the rules when it comes to recruiting and those rules are black and white. Unfortunately recruiting rules and academic rules do not cleanly mesh.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

this. i will add, i read on what bhelm says that this was being discussed for a few days already with miller and his family. lines of communication regarding the change had already been opened.