2019 preseason talk

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TBTrumpet, Jul 7, 2019.

1. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Based purely on what both of you have just stated, neither of you are college football fans. You're LSU fans, and it's likely we could whittle that down to a greater degree. I suspect one, or both of you, might just be what's called "FOG's" in Bama circles; Football Only Gump's. Here, I guess it would be FOCA's?

Both of you guys may be great LSU fans. Beyond that? I'm left wondering.

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Literally, having dealt with these number for close to two decades now, I find it difficult to use each against one another when making comparisons. There's a group that only follows the NFL. There's a group that only follows college football. However, it's shown that there are more CFB fans that also follow the NFL than NFL fans who also follow college.

He's right in the number of the SB have dropped. Steady decline over the last four years and going back as many as ten.

However, here's one prime example of how these two stories don't belong together.

Since Clemson's first appearance in the playoffs their games have maintained the same number of viewers as other playoff games. There was one significant jump, the year they played Bama in the semi's. The same applies to Bama. Whether it's Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Michigan State, you name the school ... the numbers have been static. (They are static going back as far as the BCS system. 14-16MM in the championship games.

One outlier was the UGA vs OU game. However, that comes with an asterisk. It was a game that continued to gain viewers whereas a lot remain steady. Coincidently, it followed the same script Texas and USC--a game that continued to draw more people as it progressed.

3. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

That's a nice hypothesis, but its wrong on my account. I watch as much football as I can throughout the entire season. Doesn't matter what day it is, if there's a game on, chances are my TV is turned to it.

Football is one of the only turn-based strategy games in sports. As an avid strategy gamer, I'm fascinated by it.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  4. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

I have the same issues with the NFL too, but I enjoy playing fantasy. So I find enjoyment from it still. We will see how thing shake out next year. I was going to stop watching NFL if they didn't fix the no call rule.

Football is in real danger of falling off my list of shit I do going forward, which sucks because I love it so much. But I will be fucked if I watch some tainted ass rigged shit. And after last year I am in
    No I used to be a huge college football guy, I simply got bored with bowls and the past 3 years or so of college football. You are right when LSU is my main drive to watch other games. They are usually out of things after the Alabama game the past 3 years; so I lose interest in the whole thing and generally just enjoy my Saturdays doing other things after the LSU game, or before depending.

I watch a ton of LSU baseball, I went to the college world series 3 years ago when LSU made it to finals. We used to have season tickets to LSU basketball way back when I was a kid. And I have been to many many games, I travel to all the big away games and bowls usually. I will be in Austin in September.

5. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Yeah, I simply don't care much who wins it after LSU is out of things. I do root for anyone playing Bama, because fuck you guys and fuck Saban; that magnificent bastard!

el005639 and shane0911 like this.
  6. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

FIFY

Rolan, GiantDuckFan and shane0911 like this.
  7. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

FOGs, isn't that redundant?

8. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

What do you attribute that to? As I wrote earlier, I lost interest in the Bronco's when Manning retired. There are probably just a handful of NFL teams that I care about watching. The Patriots top the list.

9. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

Internally to football you can look at the kneeling controversy, all the game rules that are not enforced uniformly, the dominance of the Patriots. People are getting sick of them always going to the SB.

External to football, look at the rise of streaming sites, video games, movies, etc. There’s so many more options for entertainment. Football and sports in general have a lot more competition in the current year for peoples’ attention.

Rolan likes this.
  10. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Not for old farts like me. IconLOL.gif

HalloweenRun and TBTrumpet like this.