your thoughts on Home Land Security, Level Orange....

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by mesquite tiger, Dec 22, 2003.

1. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

I think we, as Americans, have started to become complacent again in terms to adhering to the Home Land Security threat levels. I heard very little about them raising the level to Orange, except for on CNN. Do any of you guys see the same thing where you are at?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/12/22/threat.level/index.html

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I just heard about it yesterday. Since there is no specific information I have seen what the hell am I supposed to do? Go out and buy some more Duck Tape and Visqueen?

3. mesquite tiger

Bengal B, has the HSD ever given specific information about anything related to them raising the threat level? I have never seen it. The reason I asked if yall have seen anything differently in your area since the announcement is because here in Dallas they are saying air travel will have minimal changes due to the new level. I have flown lately, and some airports (New Orleans comes to mind) have become very relaxed again in screening. Going thru DFW is an act of congress, and they require you to take off your shoes to be xrayed.

I think many Americans are kinda going about business as usaul, and many are probably not even aware the level has been raised.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It's just telling people to be vigilant. I don't believe Breaux Bridge, Baton Rouge or Mesquite, Texas are high on the list of potential targets, but if I was flying internationally, visiting the Empire State Building or driving through the Holland Tunnel, I'd have my butt puckered up for sure.

5. SabanFan

They say it's based upon increased "chatter" which is the term they use for intercepted phone calls, emails, etc. It's like the old Tarzan movies where you'd hear the drumbeats off in the distance and they would say "the natives are restless tonight".

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

So lets all get together and scare the hell out of the bastards with everybody letting out a loud Tarzan yell all at the same time.

7. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

When I 1st heard about this warning system it seemed to me
    as a joke and here's why:

The terrorist can watch CNN or any news channel overseas.

They could actually plan to attack according to our threat level.

Its like advertising when we're on more alert than less.

But I have since changed my thinking on this a little bit.

I guess something has to be done?
    so this is the best we can do?

8. mesquite tiger

I do not know if there is another solution to notify the public when terror risk are elevated. I guess a good question that needs answered is does the public really need to know. It would be a lot easier for the government to monitor and respond to threats in a secretive manner (secretive might not be a good choice of words here).

With our current system we are saying hey terrorist, we know what you are up to, and we are looking for you to make a move. I guess what we currently have deters it by letting them know their little secret is out.

I have no better solution for you.....

9. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

There is no best answer. I guess now they have to tell the public because if (god forbid) something DID happen, the government would be crucified for not warning people. Already you have conspiracy nuts claiming the government knew about 9/11 prior to the fact and "let it happen" (give me a break!). The only thing to do is announce the threat. If nothing ever happens it is better to cry wolf alot than to have another attack happen.

10. SabanFan

Rethink your position here. I believe CottonBowel would take your side on this one.;)