Your high school era - music

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by lsu99, Jul 25, 2012.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Most people will always like music from their high school years. While I've generally thought that the late 60s/early 70s were my favorite time period, I may give the edge to my particular high school era ('91-95). Off the top of my head:

Grunge: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alice in Chains, STP, Rage Against the Machine, Radiohead

Rap/Hip Hop: Really seemed to transform during this era, which was between the early 80's version of rap and what it evolved into. Dr. Dre introduced Snoop (The Chronic was huge), Tupac, The Beatie Boys, and many others.

Bands like U2 & REM were putting out some of their best stuff.

Country: Never been a big country fan but Garth Brooks and others seemed to be really popular. Think there were a few line dance songs that originated then and are still around today.

Techno: Never been big into this either but recall it having a big following. I did like some of the stuff that fit more into the punk rock category.

Pop music: There was a lot of pop/top 40 stuff that was really bad during this era. Still, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Madonna, and many one-hit wonders will be linked to this era. It was also during the time that MTV played a lot of music videos so that added an element to the music.

I'm probably missing a lot of others during this time period so feel free to add. Why is your era better?

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

My era, 1984-88, was pretty good, too.

gyver likes this.
  3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Same here. We must be roughly the same age. Good times, for sure. If I had one wish, it wouldn't be that I was rich. I would wish I could go back and forth through time (knowing what I know now, of course, so I could still get rich). I'm not so much on the future, but man, I'd love to go relive some of the good times in my life. I would only wish that I could get back to the day I left on. I don't think I'd want to go any further.

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I caught the end of the disco era, but there was some good stuff in there. I saw Earth, Wind and Fire in BR when they were in their prime. In fact, this clip is from that concert tour:

5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Senior year 1972...

6. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

1975-1979 -- great years for music, NOT including disco.

stevescookin likes this.
  7. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Y'all are some old mf'ers

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It was mostly Progresssive Rock in my high school years, 1969 to 1972 -- Pink Floyd, The Moody Blues, Yes, King Crimson, Chicago, Jethro Tull, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Procol Harum, Kansas, Genesis, etc.

But there was a large dash of early Heavy Metal -- Led Zeppelin, Savoy Brown, Deep Purple, Blue Cheer, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, etc.

I listened to AOR FM stations and played albums. I paid no attention at all to AM pop radio singles.

northernvatiger likes this.
  9. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

1998 - 2000. Outside of At The Drive-In and Small Brown Bike there is little I listen to from my high school years. Lots of crap like boy bands and douche rock like Creed ruled the day. And lets not prevent the Nu Rock attrocities like Lim Bizkit and Korn.