With boosters ponying up the big money, does the AD/school president have any power?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Nov 28, 2021.

1. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

Common sense would tell me that if someone puts up tens of millions of dollars to bring in a new coach, all decisions regarding the program would be made by that person(s). I know boosters have always played a big role in college football, but never have they put up so much guaranteed money to land a coach. I know SW will take the credit for the hire, but it sounds like he may just be a puppet in the overall scheme of things in regards to how the football program is run.

2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

If he’s a puppet then we’re screwed.....like Texas. Boosters are terrible at running a program but great a ruining one if they demand a say.

LSUTiga and kluke like this.
  3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

He’s not a puppet, he’s a conduit. These boosters are giving big money for him to make an educated decision.

BornOnTheBayou and Winston1 like this.
  4. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

He better land a big fish or he might be joining O in Destin. Everyone talked about how he hired Fisher but now Aggie fans are ready to load up the moving truck and even pay the moving bill to get rid of him. SW "supposedly" made two great hires in baseball and women's bb, but the reality is his employment at LSU rides on this hire! I hope he hits it out of the park!

TigerFan90 and lsu-i-like like this.
  5. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

I don’t have the faith in the Woodman that many of you do. LSU baseball is a mania and Kim wanted to come home . It ain’t like he bagged Sasquatch and Mr Loch Ness.
    Agreed football hire is where his nuts get toasted or roasted - pardon my French

lsu-i-like likes this.
  6. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

Remember Dave Kingman? Played for Mets - he hit it out the park — also struck about 4000 times .

7. msully

msully Founding Member

Where did he get educated? What kind of a degree?? Offense defense ?

8. msully

msully Founding Member

I think he will be fine at A&M

9. Pjoe

Pjoe Formally Known as $TigerFan$

A little observation on the times/generation we are living in.
    People are ready to crown athletes, coaches, etc. as the greatest before they have ever done anything worth the title. None of that comes to fruition until the games are played and the wins pile up. Nick was not the greatest college coach ever until a couple years ago when he passed all others with NC's. Riley hasn't done squat, neither have most of the other coaches out there. We need a solid coach who can hire a staff, motivate/teach players, keep LSU out of the principles office, and put a quality product on the field. Greatness does not happen by osmosis, you have to work for it. Potential is not greatness. Just because Riley is an offensive genius (which I'm still not sure of due to poor performance against stout D) does not make him worth 12 mil a year. If we have to pay a descent coach that much just to lure him to BR, then we have other problems to fix. They should want to come for all of the amenities available, school system, recruits, quality of life, etc., etc. O threw that opportunity away because of his off the field issues, bad things happening on his watch, and bad hires. We will not know how good our next coach will be until he proves it on the field. These people today want instant gratification and top jobs without working for them. Entitlement has ruined this country.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Herb, BornOnTheBayou and CaryLab like this.
  10. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

LSU