What's up with these guaranteed contracts?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Nov 24, 2021.

1. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I just don't get it. Coaches are hired to be fired and now everybody is throwing around guaranteed contracts like it's candy. IMO, there are only a couple coaches that I consider TRULY ELITE and Franklin and Jimbo are not on that list. I can see Saban and maybe Dabo getting guaranteed contracts, but they have a long record of success, including winning NCs. I've seen reports that LSU could be offering up to 12 million a year, which is ludicrous and a horrible mistake. The last thing LSU needs is a huge, long term, guaranteed contract that will cripple the program for years to come. Statistics show the average college football coach is fired after about four years on the job. So why are guaranteed contracts suddenly being offered? I guess as long as the fans agree to keep purchasing tickets at outrageous prices, no price is too high. Still, I just don't get it!

rockwallfan and Perple like this.
  2. kluke

kluke Founding Member

I just saw that Hugh Freeze got a 4MM/Yr contract with Liberty!! Liberty is paying him more than 5 SEC teams are paying their HC.
    I agree the guaranteed contracts make no sense, but they ate a sign of the times. However, I think its more a matter of ultra rich alums having money to throw at trying to buy a championship than anything else. LSU isn't paying 17MM for O to leave - some alumni is. In order for A&M to guarantee Jimbo's contract some group of alumni had to agree that they would pony up 50+MM if Jimbo is not working out in 4 or 5 years. Which is nuts.
    Guaranteed contracts are only a problem if the alumni run out of money or decide they would rather spend money on something else.

3. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

I wonder if Freeze’s new contract had a morals clause.

rockwallfan, Perple and kluke like this.
  4. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

FIFY

kluke likes this.
  5. furduknfish

Its called the free market system. As long as boosters are willing to continue to pay, the salaries and guarantees will continue to rise.

BornOnTheBayou and Perple like this.
  6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Probably also making more than Napier, who just cleaned his clock last week.

7. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Which is an easier place to recruit good quality talent, Louisiana or Virginia?

XXL TideFan likes this.
  8. furduknfish

Naw Napier sux, theres no way he knows how to coach foosball in SEC... </sarcasm>

mctiger and shane0911 like this.
  9. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

Liberty is loaded with money, so I'm not surprised. Something tells me that he has an easy out should a Power 5 job comes calling. I still think he's a great coach and wouldn't mind him at LSU. I'm sure some people will call him a dirt bag, but let's face it, college football is one of the dirtiest business ever. And the reality is college football has nothing to do with college, if we're honest about it. It's about winning and winning at all costs!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

VA has a larger population, but they also have 2 major college programs, compared to one in LA. Liberty had enough talent to win 15 straight home games before the Cajuns came calling.