Whatever happened to the Cookieman?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerjeffrey, Jan 26, 2005.

1. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

When I attended the Ole War Skule from 78 to 82, basketball, not football, and certainly not baseball, was king of the hill. I wonder whatever happened to Greg "Cookieman" Cook? DeWayne "Astronaut" Scales? I thought Scales was a can't miss NBA prospect, he had it all ... his postgame interview after the SEC tourney was classic ... "DeWayne, you had an awesome game." "Well, yes I did!" Cook was well-known in the LSU dormitories, both as an invited (buying, hmm... pharmaceuticals ..) and uninvited (mmm... robbing) guest.

Any other "Front Row Lunatics" out there? Anyone get silly in Philly? Those were good times.

How does LSU get those times back?

2. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

I was there from 73-78 and yes those were great days in the Assembly Center. What an entertaining and exciting team to watch - a team full of characters, to be sure.

Greg Cook was one of my favorites. I observed him on an occasion or two enveloped in a cloud of illegal smoke. But somewhere along the line he must have gotten his act together because I heard that he was something like the head of special education for Houston city schools.

As for Scales, I never saw a more talented LSU player in person (never saw Maravich in an LSU uniform, only with the Jazz). Wow, did he have it all! 6-9, athletic, could run like a deer and jump like a kangaroo, shoot from the outside, the total package - but always immature and unpredictable. Years ago I heard he was a plumber in Dallas (and therefore making more money than any of us) but that may have changed. Anyone know?

Dandy Don does a nice "Where are they now" section for football. Someone should ask him to do one for basketball.

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

You just HAD to ask this, huh? :wink:

4. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Cook was the man. Imagine this - a 6'9' freshman bringing the ball up after his own rebound & did a behind the back dribble followed by a cross over. 77 through 81 were the best years, for the following reasons:

Rudy Macklin - Spring '77, '78, '80, '81
    Dewayne "Astronaut" Scales '78, '79, '80
    Willie Sims '78, '79, '80, '81
    Jordy Hultberg '77, '78, '79, '80
    Greg "Cookieman" Cook '77, '79, '80, '81
    Ethan Martin '78, '79, '80, '81
    Lionel "Tree" Green '76, '77, '78, '79
    Leonard Mitchell '81, '82, '83, '84
    Howard "Hi C" Carter '80, '81, '82, '83

Oh, what memories!

5. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

I'm actually one of the last people to call for a coach's head. I liked DiNardo and wrote him letters pleading w/ him to get a qualified OC to replace Watts, and to get rid of Tepper and hire Phil Bennett as DC. Had Gerry made better staff hires he might still be there. I was a Dale Brown fan. I think Brady is a good coach. What bothers me is all the players quitting the team, and the talk I've read on this forum about player revolts or whatever ... it's true that the inmates shouldn't run the asylum, but ... Brady can't hit a 3, block a shot or snag a rebound. If the players, for whatever reason, don't like him, he won't be able to recruit good players, won't be able to keep the ones he does recruit, and won't be able to motivate and coach the kids that stick around. Let's see how this season plays out, but, I would think Skip will take a long hard look at Brady this off-season.

My all time LSU BB team: C: Shaq F: Pettit F: Macklin G: Maravich G: Jackson

All time "modern" team (since 1978, hey that's "modern" for me) C: Shaq F: Macklin F: Williams G: Jackson G: Ethan Martin. Sixth man: the Black Jet, Willie Sims. Some of my favorites: Tyrone Black, Joe Costello, Andy Campbell, Derrick Taylor, Don Redden, Al Green, Tree Green, the Astronaut, Hi C, Rickey Blanton, Leonard "Swat" Mitchell, Nikita Wilson, Steffond Johnson, Greg Cook ("some people call me a gang-stuh, but I just chill it...") Jordy Hultberg (yeah, he's annoying now, but he had a sweet jumper), Anthony Wilson (winning shot ag. Memphis St in 86 regionals), Vernel Singleton, Darryl Joe.

Is Butch ready for the HC job? Where's Ron Abernathy when you need him?

BTW, I still admire and respect the hell out of Daddy Dale.

6. lctiger

lctiger Founding Member

How could you leave No Way Jose Vargus off your list.

7. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Leonard "SWAT" Mitchell. Too bad he got hurt right at the end though.

8. mtntiger

mtntiger Freshman

Let's not. We've already gone through this for the last two seasons prior to this one.

"Ooooh, wait, he's got a great class coming in this year. Give him a chance with those guys."

Well, we've done that, and each year has produced a few players leaving for one reason or another. Pick any other D-1 program in the NCAA, and, even though I haven't checked, I think you will be very hard-pressed to find one with such incredible attrition. I believe that LSU would have to be in the top 5 of losing players every year. How else can you explain a program that is allowed its full compliment of scholarships having NO DEPTH WHATSOEVER!!!!!!

Brady's like a used car salesman. He can get 'em to the showroom, give 'em a test drive, and get 'em to sign on the dotted line, but there is no service after the sale.

I live in the middle of ACC country in North Carolina, and I can't remember the last time I read or heard about some kid quitting or being kicked off his team at Wake, Duke, UNC, Clemson, Virginia, Maryland or anywhere else for that matter.

If Brady wants to coach six or seven players to play each night, then he needs to be coaching single-A high school ball.

GIVE US ALL A BREAK, SKIP. FIRE BRADY NOW!!!!!!!!!

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I saw Greg Cook waiting tables at TJ Ribs about eight or ten years ago. He said he was back in school to finish his degree and Dale had gotten him the part-time job at T.J.'s while he was in school. Don't know what he did after that.

I heard that DeWayne Scales was the tallest bus driver in Dallas.

Rudy Macklin is still around town, does counseling on physical fitness and has a LPB show Legal Ease.

Tyrone Black is an executive with the local Boy Scout council.

Dale would know where the whole team is. Someone should email him.

10. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

"Tree" Green has been the UPS driver in the neighborhood I grew up in for the last 20+ years...I know him well. He used to deliver packages to our house when I was in high school, and he and I would stand out on the front porch talking LSU hoops. Always a very pleasant guy. I still see him now and then, and he's still got the same delivery route. I would imagine he makes some pretty good bucks and benefits having been at it w/ UPS for so long.