Top 5 recruiting teams of the Rivals era...(2002 on)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by stevescookin, Feb 15, 2018.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Who do you find to be a surprise?

It seems a lot of Georgia fans don't want to remember this.

3. The Georgia thing was even more complicated than most people realized.
    A pile of narratives:

• Mark Richt wasted all that Peach State talent. Did he? His Dawgs very nearly played in three BCS title games and would’ve made the Playoff a few times, if it’d existed. Change a handful of plays, and UGA might’ve had a minor dynasty.
    • But that didn’t happen. Waste. OK.
    • Richt let all that Peach State talent leave the state. Basically never ranking outside the top 10 in recruiting suggests otherwise. It’s easy to remember Cam Newton and Deshaun Watson leaving, but Richt’s Dawgs held up their borders comparably to other major powers, at one point ranking among the top five teams in top-25 locals signed.
    • Kirby Smart has taken Richt’s program to a whole new level. That one is pretty hard to argue against, after UGA nearly finished No. 1 on the field and then did so in recruiting, taking full advantage of the No. 1 dual-threat QB living in Metro Atlanta.
    • Seeing all those national titles won by the top eight teams on this list, while seeing Georgia with zero in this span, is really awkward. Reallyawkward.

SaintSlidell likes this.
  3. SaintSlidell

SaintSlidell How bout them Tigers! Who Dat

That is very impressive for little bitty LSU.

4. stevescookin

I find Alabama a surprise. I guess only recently did they start recruiting well.

5. stevescookin

I find it surprising that Texas ranked a couple of spots ahead of Bama.

6. stevescookin

I find it surprising that it's still the Gump's world and everyone else in America is just in it. But the mythical national championships may have something to do with that.

Lol

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

You posted the article and saw it was from 2002 through this last class. I don't know how old you are but having good football players playing at Bama isn't something new--always recruited well. The time frame covered happens to include that '02-'05 stretch. I was surprising to me to see that on par with Ohio State. Tressel recruited well.

If you've followed the rankings you've seen how highly a lot of Texas kids are ranked coming out of high school. I read an article a few years ago breaking down how well those highly ranked kids did in D1 and the results surprised me. They estimated over 50% were vastly overrated. By that, they were saying your average four star should be contributing by year two and a lot of the kids from Texas weren't doing so until year three and four. In other words, should have been ranked as three or two starts based on results.

stevescookin likes this.
  8. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Unless they are recruited by Bama; star rating goes way up then. :p

shane0911 likes this.
  9. stevescookin

I can't even jerk TerryP's chain !!! Lol he's seeing right through me !!