Top 5 classes a wash. Top 10 very close.

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by DallasLSU, Jan 14, 2004.

1. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Yeah, but we will definitely have a top 3....With the guys we have landed and guys on the way, I think we are a lock for the top 3...

I agree with you completely, but a top class can't hurt...

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Agree however its all about press. Even though being #1 is nit picky, those idiots that write sports articles mention it.

Saying LSU has had back to back #1 recruiting classes (Or 3 out of the last 4 years) helps in the positive press for LSU.

SO your point is very valid. Its all marketing....

3. Poodlebrain

Poodlebrain Freshman

Evaluating Talent...

While I agree with your assertion that the most growth/improvement occurs during the college years, I disagree that one can't make better than random guesses regarding who will become the stars at the college level. For the most part the population of college quality athletes has a normal distribution pattern, i.e. most clustered around the mean with fewer at the extremes. Even the casual observor will be able to identify those who are the best players as their talent will quickly become apparent. These are the kids who get the 5 and 4 star ratings from the recruiting services. It is no coincidence that all of the kids with the 5 and 4 star ratings are being pursued by several big time college football programs.

I will admit that the ratings are based on performance against high school kids who may be so bad as to skew the ratings. However, I do not think that the number of players who fail to produce as expected at the college level is a failing of the evaluation process from a physical perspective as it is from the motivational perspective. Some kids just do not have the desire to put forth the effort to succeed at the college level, and I think this is more common than the lack of athletic ability.

4. DJ

DJ Founding Member

USC seems to be a lock for the No. 1 rank in recruiting. However, LSU is the national champion, and USC isn't.

I'll take the No. 2 ranked class with Saban's coaching against the No. 1 class with Carroll's coaching any day. There is no appreciable difference between No. 1 and No. 2 or between No. 2 and No. 3 in recruiting.

On the other hand, there IS an appreciable difference between the top 5 in recruiting and a team that isn't in the top 20 in recruiting.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Bear Bryant is supposed to have said "I can take my players and beat yours and I can take yours and beat mine"

Its the coaching and teaching the players get after they enter college that means more than how good some recruiting service says they are coming out of high school. A 6'7 320 pound tackle is going to dominate the high school players he goes up against but how well that translates to the same performance at the next level depends on his desire, work ethic and the coaching he gets.