The similarities of 10th and 14th century Europe and 21st Century America

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUsupaFan, Mar 16, 2012.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Per red's request.

My contention is there is virtually no similarity between late middle ages Europe, particularly the 10th and 14th centuries and modern America. They are radically different on every level.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

And your point would be . . .

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

That they are radically different on every level.

1 person likes this.
  4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The one similarity would be the black death. Obama and the Plague. hahaha, just kidding.

5. red55

No chit.

But Supa had promised to attempt the defense of the Spanish Inquisition. This is not doing so.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

He stated in the other thread that the Spanish Inquisition was needed to stop the spread of radical islam. Now there is something that sounds familiar, that actually sounds like something someone out of the last administration would have given as an excuse to invade some small podunk country.

7. LSUsupaFan

No G. Not what this thread was about.

Now if you want to discuss the inquisition we can, but as I stated you don't know enough about it to really discuss it. Read a few scholarly works and then let's discuss.

8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

:wave:

9. red55

You know what I was challenging, but let me make it crystal clear. I challenge these statements of yours . . .

Though I would argue many of the Crusades were Just Wars and were necessary to stop the destruction caused by radical Islam.

Who gets to say what is "just" in a religious war? What made the Crusades "necessary" other than in a religious context?

The Spanish Inquisitions to a degree were also necessary to some degree in order to stop Moorish and Jewish converts from undermining the Spanish government.​

Again, it was "necessary" only on a religious persecution basis. Heresy is a religious crime, not a civil crime.

That's twice you have declined based on your superior intellect. Like martin, you have adopted self-congratulation. You'd like to prove your point, but you're just too damn smart to be challenged by a fool such as I.

10. LSUsupaFan

I did not know what you were challenging. I apologize for my misunderstanding.

Do you understand the climate that led to the Crusades being launched? Muslims were the agressors. For three hundred years they had been conquering Christian regions, killing Christians and Jews, destoying trade routes, confiscating property, and demanding tributes. After the Byzantine army was destoyed at Manzikert the Byzantine Emperor begged the Pope and the nations of Christendom for help.

The purpose of the Crusades were not to attack Muslim lands, but to liberate and defend oppressed Christians. It was a purely defensive war.

The reasons behind the inquisiton were far more multi-faceted than to stamp out heresy. And to say heresy was not a civil crime is to not understand the conditions of Spain at the time. Moorish and Jewish converts were acting as a fifth column to undermine the authroity of the Spanish monarchy. There was legitimate fear of a Moorish reconquest of Spain.

You also have to understand that ecclesiastical courts were, at the time, considered to be much milder than the state courts. It was common for those being tried to blaspheme, so their cases would be transferred to the jurisdiction of the inquisition.

You have told me before that you have never read a scholarly work on the Inquisition. From your posts I know most of your knowledge is based on the black legend, and not on fact. If read a work by a secular, professional historian, and have the same opinions of the inquisition as you do now, I would be utterly shocked.

Now note, that I am not saying the inquisitions were entirely good. There were certainly some extremities. I'm not even saying there were not elements of persecution. I'm saying they were far less severe than commonly believed, and even mild by any standard of the time.​