The 2020 LSU Defense: by the Numbers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Robidoux87, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

Total Defense:
    - LSU ranks #124 (out of 127). Only Texas State, North Texas, and Ole Miss are worse. The Tigers give up an average of 500 yards per game

Passing Defense:
    - LSU ranks #126. They give up 323 yards per game passing. One has to imagine this could have been worse, had Alabama been trying in the second half. Again, Ole Miss is dead last, giving up one yard per game more.
    - LSU is dead last in Passing Yards Per Attempt, at 9.73 yards. (If you attempt a pass against LSU, statistically, you will get a first down).

Rushing Defense:
    - LSU is #71, giving up 169 yards per game. Nice! Geaux Tigers!

In the Record Book:
    - LSU allowed KJ Costello to pass for 623 yards, an SEC record. Costello would lose his starting job later in the season
    - DeVonta Smith had 219 receiving yards and three touchdowns in one half. (*I don't know if that's a record, but it should be)

Bo Pelini's annual salary: $2.3 million per year, three year contract.
    - He is the third-highest paid coordinator in CFB.
    - What a "get" - he had just gone 6-6 at Youngstown State in 2019.

This is, by far, the worst defense in school history. It is one of the worst defensive performances in the history of this sport. The turnovers forced are nice. But would you be excited if your baseball team's pitchers got shelled - but made some nice fielding plays?

There is no combination of: pandemic, turnover, opt outs, whatever......to excuse this.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    tzanghi, lsu-i-like, geaux9 and 5 others like this.
  2. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Inexcusable for an LSU defense. Ugly numbers.
    Pelini needs to be gone.

CaryLab and lsu-i-like like this.
  3. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Rumors roaring of a buyout negotiation taking place as we speak. Also that Pelini was a Woodward hire, not an Orgeron hire.

All smoke at this point.

4. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Was Lanahan a Woodward hire too? To hear people defending E; if we’re this oblivious we deserve mediocrity. Football ops needs to look like a bloodbath.

5. LSU_4_LIFE

I have no idea. The same “insider” claiming this is also saying E is retiring after recruiting is wrapped up and taking an admin role.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  6. lsu-i-like

I find it hard to believe Woodward forced a DC on O after a NC. Woodward might have been in favor of the hire, but O is where the buck stops - this is the second absolute misfire, and he hasn’t gotten a major hire right yet.

I support replacing Pelini and E with legit coordinators and doing what we need to with the rest of the staff to have a world class program.

Thanks for sharing, I know I’m kinda shooting the messenger.

furduknfish and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  7. LSU_4_LIFE

Normally you should fire a coach after you have the potential replacement candidates lined up, I doubt we do. In this case, you fire a coach just because anybody else you can go get couldn’t be worse (our defense was statistically the worst).

But that’s also a problem as we don’t have the cash to keep buying out contracts of bad hires. I think if news breaks soon that Pelini is out, it was most likely mutual and we don’t have a replacement lined up.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    furduknfish and lsu-i-like like this.
  8. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I think we should probably stop writing shitty contracts to begin with. The coaching market has sure become an unbelievable pacifier for shit coaching. Incentives written in after already over inflated salaries seems counter productive.

Ain't gonna lie, starting to question the value in Woody.

Winston1 likes this.
  9. lsu-i-like

Tying money to a NC and a pretty good run leading up to that isn’t 100% inexcusable.

10. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

It doesn't guarantee a return either. But I am not directly pointing at O so much as Pelini. I am just not sure what warrented that cost paid to bring him here. Sure seems like someone is playing with an open checkbook to me.

lsu-i-like and Winston1 like this.